Replacing Bushings With Bearings On Blower Fan - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing bushings with bearings on blower fan

Hi all, I just replaced the bushings on the blower fan of our old Maytag furnace with bearings. I did because the bushing on the drive side was shot (lots of loud chirping). Anyway when I turned the thermastat to cool & blower kicked on there is now a decent vibration, almost a whir. It's been running for about 7 hours and has gotten a little louder. Any thoughts on how to quiet the vibration?
Just an after thought. When I put the bearings in the cups that held the bushings they were slightly loose so I kind of jerry rigged the gap by cutting the lid to a plastic bottle top to make up the space on one side & on the other I used thin sheet metal because the gap was smaller.

Thanks for reading,
Jeff

Advertisement

bicidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Could be your spacers are moving.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks beenthere. My spacers did move but even when I tightened everything back up the whirring/vibration is still there right when the motor starts. Also today i pulled the squirrel cage out & cleaned the fan blades & each end of the wheel, put it all back in and the vibration is louder but at the same frequency. The fan spun freely & smooth by itself. But noticed when I was putting the belt back on that the motor, the drive shaft moved about a 1/2 inch. The motor was also almost too hot to touch when I disassembled everything after running a couple of hours.
I also read a few threads on other forums about the capacitor being bad? Should a unit 15 or so yrs. old have a soft start up? Cause our doesn't.

Thanks,
Jeff
bicidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Most residential belt drive blowers don't have, or need a capacitor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 816

Did you put roller bearings in? Make sure the whole bearing is not spinning in the holder/housing. The inner part of the bearing needs to be turning and not the whole bearing in its rubber sleeve or holder. Check it carefully with a bright flashlight with the belt on and running and not just spinning by hand. Can happen if the grease in the bearings is old and stiff from old stock bearings.Sounds like the motor is old and dying. Check the amperage draw of it and compare it to the rating plate.