Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing an Air Exchange with a Heat Pump?

Hello,
I my basement I have a rather large Air Exchange . I have heard that if I install a heat pump, I may be able to replace the air exchange. This gives me two benefits that I can see:

1. The Heat Pump will be outside. Giving me more space in my cramped basement.
2. The Heat Pump will lower the temperature a bit in the house durring summer (I have no airconditioning).

However, there are a few things that I'm not sure of:
  • Can the heatpump re-use my existing vents that are installed though the house for the air exchange?
  • I'm not 100% positive what the air exchange is used forů I know that it keeps the dew from forimg in the inside of windows during winter. Will the heat pump do this as well?
  • I use oil for heat and hot water. To my understanding, I will not need to use oil as much for heat (unless its a very hot day). So my oil consumption should go down, although the heat pump will increase my power charges. Is this going to be worth it?

Thanks for any help!
zenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

your unit is actually called an "air to air heat exchanger" or "heat recovery ventilator" Google that.

it is meant to bring in fresh air in the winter which is dry and to exhaust moist stinky stale air. the dry air will remove moisture and the fresh air is good for your health and the other reasons. you do not want to get rid of it unless you don't want fresh healthy air OR you have no humidity issues. some people run them year round on low speed to get fresh air all the time. if you get rid of it your windows may sweat and get moldy so I would not do it.

heat pumps have to be installed inside/on top of a furnace or air handler which is the same idea w/o burners. a box with a fan basically and may have small booster elec elements. you cannot reuse the vents from the exchanger as they are too small /not enough of them and in the wrong places. you would need ducts that look like the ones in a regular house with a furnace which you have seen. also needs return air ducts.

Google Lifebreath HRV or Lifebreath heat recovery ventilator for good info.

http://lifebreath.com/

Last edited by yuri; 07-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenox
Hello,
I my basement I have a rather large Air Exchange . I have heard that if I install a heat pump, I may be able to replace the air exchange. This gives me two benefits that I can see:

1. The Heat Pump will be outside. Giving me more space in my cramped basement.
2. The Heat Pump will lower the temperature a bit in the house durring summer (I have no airconditioning).

However, there are a few things that I'm not sure of:
[*]Can the heatpump re-use my existing vents that are installed though the house for the air exchange?[*]I'm not 100% positive what the air exchange is used for… I know that it keeps the dew from forimg in the inside of windows during winter. Will the heat pump do this as well?[*]I use oil for heat and hot water. To my understanding, I will not need to use oil as much for heat (unless its a very hot day). So my oil consumption should go down, although the heat pump will increase my power charges. Is this going to be worth it?

Thanks for any help!
The heat pump is outside but you still need an air handler inside which will only be a little smaller than you current oil furnace
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

Do you have an oil furnace o a boiler? A heat pump could be added to a furnace. A boiler would require an air handler,supply and return duct and the heat pump.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air exchanger, heat pump