Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing ac unit and furnace

Hey guys. This morning my wife told me that the house didn't get any cooler last night when we had the air on. We felt the vents and it was cool not cold. I had her turn the system back on and I heard the unit kick on and start humming like it always did. I looked out the window and saw that the fan wasn't turning at the unit. I am an ase mechanic and in cars the condenser will overheat if the fan isn't cooling it. I assume this is the same for a house. The unit was very warm to the touch and I had her shut it off right away. The ac unit and the furnace are original to the house and it was built in 79. We just assumed that replacing the system is a better option as opposed to fixing what's wrong now and having more go wrong in the long run. Plus I am pretty sure these are very inefficient. Main question is what brands do you recommend. We are first time homeowners and it seems like there are a lot of negative reviews for all companies. We have two main hvac people In our area that are prominent and they both deal with Trane. Also should we do ac and furnace at the same time? Is it required? What does the average cost go for? Thank you all for the help and advice in advance.

Mike

blackws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Could be as simple as a capacitor? Don't think the rules or policy allow price quoting!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackws6ta
Main question is what brands do you recommend. We are first time homeowners and it seems like there are a lot of negative reviews for all companies.
Mike
The biggest difference between the brands is the badge on the front, the color of the cabinet, and the warranties. All furnaces have a gas valve made by either Honeywell or White Rodgers. Other than that there are just minor differences in burner design, heat exchanger, and component orientation.
Brand doesn't matter so much, installation is key. If the install is bad the unit will fail sooner.

Of course they all have bad reviews. If someone's unit works great and doesn't bother them they aren't going to go out of there way to tell others how great it is. If the unit breaks once or more and they find blame it on a contractor of course they will go and say every nasty thing about it they can. I'm sure as an auto mechanic you can understand where I am coming from with this. I bet you have seen how people get over a certain car brand or make.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

If it is a capacitor on the outside unit, figure five bucks, then add probably around 60 to 70 bucks for labor. Now if the unit is as old as you are saying, yes it is time to replace both indoor and outdoor units, along with the lineset between them, since it would no longer be a R-22 system for the new one. You are looking at anywhere from $6500 to as much as $15,000.00 depending on what you want, and what all kinds of fancy features if you want them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

greg, leave it to the tradesmen in the field. no way he needs a lineset. no way he needs anything past a cP/ and or fan motor with a cap and coil cleanings to keep him up to par with the most efficient ability his system has to offer, for being so old. a condenser cleaning alone can drop compressor amp draw and supply air temp significantly.

Never is a line set needed with a new system be it the same refrigerant or 410A, not ever.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #6

So is this something on your opinions that we should repair? Or should we try to replace the system? Are parts readily available for these old systems. The outside unit says GE on it. If we decide to replace it can we do the ac unit this year and the furnace next year?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

That condenser is built like a tank. Its not very efficient though. So if money is tight. Probably can just replace the condenser fan motor and capacitor. And it will probably last for a few more years. All mechanical parts are still replaceable on it with generic/third party parts(Trane still makes a replacement compressor that will match up to the one in your condenser, but its high priced).

You can replace just the outdoor unit and the indoor coil this year, and the furnace some time down the road.

PS: Trane bought G E back in 1983, so since it has a G E label, its more then 30 years old.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #8

Where would I find parts? And should I take the old out first ?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Motor and capacitor at Graingers.

Take pics of wiring, and label where all wires go to before removing. Then you can take it with you.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #10

You might get away with just replacing the capacitor. Turn it on and while it is humming spin the fan by hand (watch your fingers, you might use a stick) and see if that gets it going. If so, the fan motor is probably OK and alls you need is a $10 capacitor that you can get just about anywhere, including online. Just take a look at yours and match up the microfarads...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #11

food for thought.

If the furnace is over 30 years old you are approaching the heat exchangers life, beware of CO.

I would be more concerned with the furnace. is it oil or gas fired. have a tech go over the whole system with a fine tooth comb.

If the furnace is in bad shape, it may be time to replace everything.

I have had two furnaces (oil) in two house fail because of heat exchanger failure in the past two years. Both were 27 years old and different brands. (Hallmark and Magic Chef) Both maintained yearly.

The magic chef you could see pin holes in the exchanger. The hallmark has not been inspected yet, the fire box collasped with rust and not much hope of salvage.

bernie
bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
greg, leave it to the tradesmen in the field. no way he needs a lineset. no way he needs anything past a cP/ and or fan motor with a cap and coil cleanings to keep him up to par with the most efficient ability his system has to offer, for being so old. a condenser cleaning alone can drop compressor amp draw and supply air temp significantly.

Never is a line set needed with a new system be it the same refrigerant or 410A, not ever.
Doc, it is a general statement, because you never know what may have to be repaired, until the tech gets onsite to start the work. Even you know this from dealing with this stuff, that every job is a different story.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

So maybe just a full replacement is better off.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

You should see a large reduction in your cooling bill.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackws6ta View Post
So maybe just a full replacement is better off.
If you can do both there is little reason to wait. You know they are both old and in need of repair and the overall efficiency and safety will be improved dramatically. If you can only replace one, start with the heater because you can live without cooling unless you have a medical condition that requires cooling. However, when you replace the heater, have them put the evaporator coil in right away so they will not have to do more work on the ducts in order to add it later. And before anyone jumps me for omitting this: Be certain they put in the right coil that will match the AC unit you have decided to install next year.

You may limp the AC unit through your cooling season with a few minor tweaks here and there but if you don't need it, don't bother... use your money elsewhere.

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote