Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |
replace repair fasco inducer motor

My 1997 Nordyne/Miller furnace Model G5RC-060C-12, G5R9606-01232 stopped working and signaled 2 red-blinking lights--pressure switch open. I checked tubing for kinks and blockage-none found. I cleaned condensate tank and re-filled with water. Air filter is new. I shut down furnace. Next morning turned it back on. Furnace ran fine, good blue flame, blower working, etc. Furance was a bit noisy at start, kind of sounded like woop, woon, woon. It ran through one cycle, all working. Then stopped working. Had serviceman check; says inducer motor is failing. He "hand" started it (nudging it on with plastic stick) and it ran through one cycle. He said he could replace motor (not assembly), or I could DIY. I checked for motor online, can only find motor with assembly FASCO 7062-4637, now FASCO A130.
QTN 1: Can I find/buy motor itself, or must I buy motor w/ assembly?
QTN 2: Is there advantage to replacing motor & assembly together? The serviceman was only going to replace motor itself.
QTN 3: Can I do this myself?
Thanks.

myronl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

You don't need the entire assembly, if you can get the motor alone then just do that. You don't want to put a lot of money into an older furnace that's bound to have other issues inevitabley come along.

A new inducer motor can cost nearly as much as certain, basic, single stage complete furnaces and they come with warranties up to 20 years or even life on the heat exchanger.

Granted having it installed is where you spend the most of the money, three, four, five times the price of the furnace.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
REP

Replacing the motor can be a hour long effort and you have to get the blower clearances etc just right.You will still need a gasket and if the blower wheel is the reason that the motor died then you will need that.
Replacing the assy is usually a 15-20 minute job and everything is in its proper place.
Its up to you .Do you like getting things done the quickest easiest way or do you like to tinker and tinker and tinker with things you have no training or experience with.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

95-99% of the time the wheel on the inducer is warped and so seized on that it may not come off and if you pull it off it usually warps. Lots of manufacturers sell the whole unit as one so it is balanced and they don't get warranty returns etc. Better to buy it as a pkg. Most of them spin at 3000-3400 rpm so even a TINY bit of unbalance can shake the entire furnace and be a problem.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
95-99% of the time the wheel on the inducer is warped and so seized on that it may not come off and if you pull it off it usually warps. Lots of manufacturers sell the whole unit as one so it is balanced and they don't get warranty returns etc. Better to buy it as a pkg. Most of them spin at 3000-3400 rpm so even a TINY bit of unbalance can shake the entire furnace and be a problem.
yes yuri is right I would replace as complete unit and be done with it.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote