Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #1

Share |

Replace Honeywell with Totaline

Hi,

Id like to replace my manual Honeywell t-stat (probably circa 80s) with a new Totaline P374 2800 digital programmable. I have the Totaline 2800 upstairs and Id like the downstairs (which Im working on now) to match.

I have several questions.
  • Can I get away with a lower model Totaline (than the 2800) that looks and acts like the 2800, given the limits of my existing hvac system? Which model would be best and still look and work like the 2800?
  • Will someone tell me, wire by wire, how to hook up the Totaline with my existing wiring? Here is a pic of my current t-stat wiring (Honeywell):

• Once I wire it, what will I have to set up in the software menus to make it work properly? IOW, I believe I have 1 heat stage and 2 A/C stages.
Thanks for the help. Ive been doing electronics for 20 years so Im sure I can handle this installreplacement.

Best,

Mark
26kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #2

Can't seem to find an install guide for the totaline 2800 so let us know what the terminal markings are. From your pic I'd guess on the following mappings:
Rc Rh jumpered - +24VAC
X - 24VAC common
G - fan
W1 - heat
Y1 - first stage cool
Y2 - second stage cool
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

Here are pics of my Totaline:

So I see that:

W1 (white) will go to W1/O/B
Y1 (yellow) will go to Y1
G (blue) will go to G
X (brown) will go to C, correct?

The question then is..will:

Rh/Rc (red) go to R (but not jump to anything else, correct)??
Y2 (orange) go to MISC 2 ?? Then will need to be programmed?? How do I program the second stage?

Any help on this will be much appreciated!!

Mark
Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #4

What is your system? Do you have a heat pump, a furnace, straight A/C, auxilliary heat strips?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #5

Hi, thanks for the replys.

I'm fairly sure I have a gas furnace, however I'm embarrassed to say that is very difficult to access. I also have an air conditioning condenser on the roof. The air conditioning is two speed while the heat has one speed, hence the "Y2" wire, right?

I've purchased the Totaline 2800 and it should arrive here this week. It may be overkill in features but that's okay, I just want to make it work with what I have and it matches my upstairs (separate) system.

Frankly I'm surprised that Totaline seems to offer zero customer service. I've been to their site and there is no contact information, just an email inquiry, which I did. They just referred me to my "local HVAC company" or some such statement. Most companies, no matter what they sell offer technical faq's or forums or something.

Finally, I feel like if I can be confident about these few wiring differences, I think it should be a pretty simple switch.

Thank you....

Last edited by 26kick; 11-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #6

Sorry but I don't think that tstat will work as it doesn't appear to have second stage cooling. You could tie both Y1 and Y2 to Y1 on the new tstat but you will defeat the whole point of having a two stage A/C. It looks like the other tstat you have controls a single stage A/C and furnace?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #7

Hi,

It does do 2 A/C stages. Here's the owner's manual, it says it on the cover.

http://www.totaline.com/dl/P374-2800...39;sManual.pdf

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

You are correct, sorry for the confusion. It looks like MISC1 may act as secondary cool. The label threw me. So are you clear on exactly what needs mapping?

Since you've not pulled the existing tstat you might want to use a multimeter an map out exactly what terminals are active during each mode: cool, heat, fan only, etc. Then when you get the new tstat you can wire it up with just power, configure it, and run it through its paces to be sure it is energizing the wires properly. Does that make sense?

Last edited by dac122; 11-10-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #9

Yes, but I've pulled the old one already. I could put it back but geez, one would think that there's a way to get through to totaline and ask 'em a simple question.

I think I'm good. Just to double check:

X (brown, Honeywell) will go to C (Totaline)

Rh/Rc (red, Honeywell) go to R (Totaline) but not jump to anything else. Why does the Honeywell have it the red jump both Rh and Rc?

Other than that, I've got the rest and Y2 obviously goes to MISC1, which is programmable. I found that in the manual.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far dac122!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post
X (brown, Honeywell) will go to C (Totaline)
Sounds right. One way to verify is to wire up these first, and no other wires, and see if you get power to your tstat. Then do G and test your fan, then W and test, then Y and Y1 and test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post
Rh/Rc (red, Honeywell) go to R (Totaline) but not jump to anything else. Why does the Honeywell have it the red jump both Rh and Rc?
Rh stands for 24 Vac Heat call switch power and Rc stand for 24 Vac Cool call switch power. Sometimes the furnace/air handler has a transformer and outdoor unit has its own. When that happens you run power to the appropriate R, which energizes its respectable heat or cool tstat circuit. In most cases there is just one transformer, so you jumper Rh and Rc to power the whole tstat off the one transfomer. In fact, in most tstat with a separate Rc Rh terminals it comes jumpered from the factory. Make sense?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
Sounds right. One way to verify is to wire up these first, and no other wires, and see if you get power to your tstat. Then do G and test your fan, then W and test, then Y and Y1 and test.

Will do, when I get the tstat....and the painting is done.

Rh stands for 24 Vac Heat call switch power and Rc stand for 24 Vac Cool call switch power. Sometimes the furnace/air handler has a transformer and outdoor unit has its own. When that happens you run power to the appropriate R, which energizes its respectable heat or cool tstat circuit. In most cases there is just one transformer, so you jumper Rh and Rc to power the whole tstat off the one transfomer. In fact, in most tstat with a separate Rc Rh terminals it comes jumpered from the factory. Make sense?
Okay, so it just goes straight to R, no jumping. That should be it.

Thanks, I'll let you know in a week or two.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #12

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #13

Hi,

I wired it up and it seems to work well. I've got heat and I've got cool. I just don't know if the 2nd stage cooling is working correctly. The misc 1 jumper is definitely set to Y1. I wonder if the stat should display what stage it's in? I should, I would think. When I was in cool, it just had the standard green lite and the display didn't look any different. I left it in cool for over 5 min. and no change. All of the timers and such are at the default of 2 min.

Anyway, my testing got cut short when the wife came home. You know, you can't freeze the wife and get away with it.

One thing took me by surprise, when I was forcing it to switch from heat to cool, I actually got the A/C to come on (in addition to the heat) before the heat turned off (even though the red light was off, it runs for a bit after). Is there any way to prevent that?

Totaline should have a forum or something on their site!

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by 26kick; 11-29-2008 at 06:36 PM.