Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

Replace a furnace blower motor

Just got word from a repairman that my blower motor on our Lennex G23Q3/4-125-5 is going to die soon. He replaced the capacitor to help it live a bit longer. I can order a part online but need to know how difficult it is to replace this blower motor? Anyone ever do it?

It looks fairly simple to pull the blower after moving the control board out of the way.

Any advise? They want to charge $500 for a new motor! I can buy it online for $170.

Thanks for the help!

dadncharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #2

THAT SOUNDS LIKE ALOT FOR THE MOTOR. iS THAT MAYBE INSTALLATION AND ALL OR JUST THE MOTOR? I am not picturing THAT exact setup, but it sounds like alot of newer residential ones. It really isn't rocket science to replace. definetly make sure the power is off, be very carefull with the circuit board, and make sure you swap wire for wire. it is prety self explanitory too to get the housing out. then look for allens to loosen (set screws) that tighten to the shaft.depending on the unit, and if so, you should see a cut out in the sqirrel cage, you may need a LONG allen. then SLIDE out the motor, if it does not come out easily. AND. you made sure no set screws etc still holding it on the shaft!. try some sand cloth on the shaft, oil, etc.. if ya must pound, DO NOT pound on the end to mushroom the shaft end. It really isn't bad. personally, though, if they just put another capacitor on there maybe a higher one even, it may last QUITE some time...

sixty7flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadncharge View Post
Just got word from a repairman that my blower motor on our Lennex G23Q3/4-125-5 is going to die soon. He replaced the capacitor to help it live a bit longer. I can order a part online but need to know how difficult it is to replace this blower motor? Anyone ever do it?

It looks fairly simple to pull the blower after moving the control board out of the way.

Any advise? They want to charge $500 for a new motor! I can buy it online for $170.

Thanks for the help!
Buy it...try it yourself. If you can't do it, bring the person in for labor.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote