Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Replace Florida Heat Pump AC with reg AC? Rheem or Goodman?

I have a FHP A/C that is only about 8 years old. I bought the house 14 years ago and replaced the old FHP after about 6 years. I would guess that one lasted 14 years.

It pulls ground water in FL and dumps it into the canal. It is on a stand in the garage. I had AC guys come in to quote last time and they groaned about a new AC because there is no existing set up for the condensor outside. There is power and concrete. I decided to put in another FHP.

I am thinking conventional AC again. Lots of deals on Rheems and Goodmans. If you had to choose? Rheem?

I have a smaller back up that is a Trane that is working but it only can cool half of the house and it is kept as a back up.

Any suggestions on heat pump ACs? Bosch AG bought FHP. So I guess they may have better German engineering but they are pricey.

All these heat pumps seem pricey. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by FrankL; 07-20-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #2

Best heat pump on the market IMO is a Trane, followed by higher end Carriers.

I personally wouldn't install a Goodman hp (had too much trouble with them) but others may have different experiences. In FL, you won't have much need for heating of course, but still - when you need it, you want it to work.

I've had too many leak issues with Rheem/Ruud to recommend them. They work well enough, but we installed quite a few of them a few years back, and saw an inordinate amount of leaks in both evap and condenser coils.

This is just my own personal opinion, of course, and others will have different experiences.

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Get quotes/prices on other brands of water source heat pumps/air conditioners.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

personally I would not buy either. Both are OK but there is better in my opinion for the same money. If I had to choose between them I would pick Goodman. I have installed both and these are just my opinion. I use Payne for my low cost installs. Payne is a carrier on a buget
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Rheem/Ruud by far. The main key is to make sure which ever unit you choose is installed correctly. (Very very important)
flipper-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999 View Post
Best heat pump on the market IMO is a Trane, followed by higher end Carriers.

I personally wouldn't install a Goodman hp (had too much trouble with them) but others may have different experiences. In FL, you won't have much need for heating of course, but still - when you need it, you want it to work.

I've had too many leak issues with Rheem/Ruud to recommend them. They work well enough, but we installed quite a few of them a few years back, and saw an inordinate amount of leaks in both evap and condenser coils.

This is just my own personal opinion, of course, and others will have different experiences.
Thanks guys and possibly gals. I have Tranes at my office and one smaller back up at the house for Florida room. This little one is tiding me over for now. A relative has a 10 year old Trane and it is ice cold like new. Great A/Cs.

I am staying with heat pump and the choices from my tech company are probably Carrier and Liquid Furnace. I am replacing Florida Heat Pump which Bosch now owns. FHP is a great heat punp/AC but compressors seem to fail like clockwork at 5 years.

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac unit, heat pump ac