Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

replace AC coil along with furnace?

I am currently getting quotes on replacing my existing furance -1971 model. One of the companies suggested I think about replacing the AC coil and pan at the same time. While the compresser is less than 10yrs old, the coil and pan are original, along with the furnace. New unit would be more efficient, wouldn't have to worry about pan rusting through, less labor in long run etc. He guessed that it would add another $400 to the job. I assume a couple hundred for labor as well.

sound like a good deal or someone just trying to pad their bid for more work?

js2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

Is the condensing unit 10 years old or just the compressor in it? If it's just the compressor I would ask how much for replacing the whole system. IMO there's no sence in replacing a R22 coil now if the AC is old.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #3

I would go ahead with the recommendation by the contractor it makes sense.

In the spring see how it works if there's problems replace the outdoor unit.

Last edited by SULTINI; 12-08-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: changed information
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The A/C coil is part of the cooling system, not the furnace.
Do you know what efficiency and brand A/C you want when it comes time to replace the outdoor unit?

If not, why limit yourself to what your installer decides today?

Unless the pan is rusted through, and leaking, don't change it. Unless your getting a new outside unit also.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

The problem is R22 now and the new AC will be 410A. Will need to flush the coil when replacing AC and change TXV which will cost way more then a sheet metal transition later. Also need to know now what you want for a SEER rating to match the future AC. If Ac's were still R22 I'd say go for it but since they're not it's a tough call.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

everything outside was replaced summer of 2001. I found the old paper work, and unit is a ARMSTRONG SCU10B30A, what from what I have found, has a SEER rating of 10, and did come "precharged" with R22. So if the evaporator coils is changed indoors as suggested, and everything outside would stay the same, would it still have to be upraded to 410a, or just capture and reuse?
js2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #7

If the AC is a 2001 then get the coil. It will still use the R22 in your system. When that system dies then the new system won't be R22 but you don't need to woory about that for another 10 years or so.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by js2318 View Post
everything outside was replaced summer of 2001. I found the old paper work, and unit is a ARMSTRONG SCU10B30A, what from what I have found, has a SEER rating of 10, and did come "precharged" with R22. So if the evaporator coils is changed indoors as suggested, and everything outside would stay the same, would it still have to be upraded to 410a, or just capture and reuse?
No, the outdoor unit would still be an R22 unit. And it can't be upgraded to r410A.

Your A/C is only 8 years old. No real reason to change the indoor coil. Unless the conditions I posted earlier are present. Or you didn't have the coil replaced when the outdoor was replaced.

Keep in mind. That just because you would get a new coil now. Doesn't mean that it couldn't develope a leak in another 2 or 3 years. And although you would get a new coil for free. You would still be paying for labor, and new refrigerant.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #9

I rethought your question and have to agree with beenthere I would have the new system installed and the coil placed back it if looks good.

No use in changing out coil now the system you have could operate for several years trouble free then when it fails you can replace it with a high EFF system with 410.

Disregard my last post.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #10

Make sure they do a heat loss. If you choose to replace the a/c he should also do a heat gain. The practice of proper sizing is important to mechanicals, maintenance and fuel consumption. I have not put in the same size as I took out for over 6 years. Always smaller.

tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote