Replace 12 Year Old System Before Energy Tax Credits Expire ? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replace 12 year old system before energy tax credits expire ?

I have 2 12yr old split systems (Goodman - GMP 075-3 70K 80% furnace, 2 ton 10 AC ) that are in still good working order. I believe that these systems were newly installed by the PO (used a contractor) just to sell the house.

One system is in the attic and one in the basement. The A/C that services the upstairs is undersized and should be 2.5-3.0 tons (like my neighbors with similar houses in my 35 yr old metro Atlanta neighborhood ).

I might just purchase the equipment (gas furnaces and heat pump (aka dual fuel) system or maybe 95% gas furnace and 16 Seer AC system which seems to be best in my location before the tax credits expire and DIY install and hire an HVAC tech friend to inspect my work and start up everything .

I am trying to decide whether to taking advantage of the energy savings and the tax credit is worth it given the age and the efficiency of the present equipment . Would 80% furnaces quality if coupled with qualifying heat pumps ? What SEER rating is the ideal price point . Any advice would be appreciated .

- Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Go for it. Prices are not going to be any less in a few years when it dies and the chance to get some of your tax money back will be long gone.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

That is what I am thinking . I may replace the attic system only. After more research maybe use 90-95% furnace and 16 SEER AC seems like the best value. I was hope to DIY install and get license tech to inspect and startup . However, it appears that Goodman and some others won't honor warranties for internet/purchases ( ** Opinions on a new GOODMAN AC unit ** ) so that may make getting the equipment a little more difficult as I want the full factory warranty.
bamx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Just get a pro company to install a new system. What you pay up front for the equipment plus the 30% tax rebate may equal the same amount or few more bucks with pro ac company. I wont screw around wit gas furnaces, loll. Check ur ductwork also before you upgrade.
kilosos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

kilosos2- I don't disagree with your post. It is certainly worth getting bids to see how close I can get . I want the manufacturer's warranty to cover the equipment .

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #6

Yes, you'll be surprised it maybe only 2 or 3 hundreds more! loll especially now...summers over and ac companies business slows down. That's when the companies come out with kickass deals.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilosos2 View Post
Yes, you'll be surprised it maybe only 2 or 3 hundreds more! loll especially now...summers over and ac companies business slows down. That's when the companies come out with kickass deals.
2-300 bucks difference? Sorry, but I don't buy that. I'm getting quotes of 25K+ to replace two systems in my home including ductwork. I'm betting prices will drop after the tax credits expire and contractors start getting hungry looking for more work.

I've grown very frustrated dealing with "pro" HVAC contractors. Each one you consult with gives you completely different answers with no consistency between them. Most just want to make the quick buck and don't want to accept the more challenging jobs like mine.

Some don't want to work with educated consumers and would rather deal with homeowners who just accept whatever the contractor tells them.

I'd love to hire a "pro" if I can find one I can trust that doesn't expect me to pay for their shiny new service van just to have my HVAC units replaced.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #8

Starglow - You make some good points. It may make more sense to utilize the tax credits for other energy saving matters and deal with the equipment when the demand has decreased or even wait until a major component in the current system fails.

As far as DIY - I have installed a number of systems over the years in my own property using the services of a licensed HVAC technician for inspection and start-up . All of those systems had a factory warranty . Some were sold to me (I have a GC license) by a local supply house and some from a large local contractor ( liquidation/scratch-n-dent).

Most of prices for the equipment that I see for sale online are excessively high if they do not include the factory warranty. Some offer a seller;s warranty but you never know how good that is (especially from a seller that is not local ) .

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
2-300 bucks difference? Sorry, but I don't buy that. I'm getting quotes of 25K+ to replace two systems in my home including ductwork. I'm betting prices will drop after the tax credits expire and contractors start getting hungry looking for more work.

I've grown very frustrated dealing with "pro" HVAC contractors. Each one you consult with gives you completely different answers with no consistency between them. Most just want to make the quick buck and don't want to accept the more challenging jobs like mine.

Some don't want to work with educated consumers and would rather deal with homeowners who just accept whatever the contractor tells them.

I'd love to hire a "pro" if I can find one I can trust that doesn't expect me to pay for their shiny new service van just to have my HVAC units replaced.

25K!! LOL ...well you may have some special needs! Im in south florida and these days one can get a new 16 seer unit less then 2k ...varies on tonnage. So thats wat I meant. Your right about finding a good hvac company. It is very hard and alot of the companies are just hit and run contractors. Alot of contractors I have seen have very limited knowledge of all the science behind ac stuff. I hope you find a good contractor ...try posting on hvac-talk.com in their residential section to find some good hvac company. RKpatt if you find a bargain at the supply houses thats not a bad idea either. The only thing is you may not get one of these fancy new units like a carrier infinity system, lolll. Thats cool you have done past installs!

Advertisement