Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repair or Replace 13 yr old Furnace with Cracked Heat Exchanger

I have a 13 yr old Lennox G26Q3 high efficiency gas furnace that has a cracked heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is under material warranty still and I have a labor cost to repair of $1500. Would you recommend repair this furnace or buy a new one?

Thank you for your feedback!

Thor73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

I wouldn't even do it for $500.

new. for only a few hundred dollars more you can get a very decent new furnace installed and a new warranty which covers all parts for a few years and 20 or lifetime on the heat exchanger.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback Doc. I forgot to mention I've had three quotes from different vendors for a new furnace:
Trane XV95 = $4000
Bryant Plus 90i 355 = $3900
Lennox - G61MPV = $5000

Thanks again for feedback.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor73 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Doc. I forgot to mention I've had three quotes from different vendors for a new furnace:
Trane XV95 = $4000
Bryant Plus 90i 355 = $3900
Lennox - G61MPV = $5000

Thanks again for feedback.

Those are some high dollar, high efficiency variable speed condensing furnaces. I was thinking something like a simple, 80% single stage furnace. I've personallly installed those for under $1900.

You will get much more return on your invesment with a high efficieny furnace though, a lower electrical bill, better comfort, etc. etc...

It's all up to you but you have to ask yourself how long do you want to continue to patch up yesterday's failing product?

My pick of those three would be the Trane.
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

One thing on condensing furances, you have a coil in the furnace. You need to absolutely make certain you replace air filters religously as well as make sure you have no air leaks anywhere, return air especially. You do not want to get that coil on the inside plugged as you pretty much have to un-install the furnace to get to it.

That and you will be needing a fresh air intake and an exhaust, both run in pvc and out of a side wall of your home.
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Your problem could of course be a natural defect in materials or of manufactuer,but ususlly it is a problem of bad duct size or design or an improper size furnace.
Unless you enjoy spending big dollars on an often basis you should pay someone to do a manuel "J" ,AND a manuel"D"
If you just decide to repair what you have,you will just be at this point again in half the time you would normally have to,plus you will be paying too high a monthly fuel bill until you get the proper size and correct ductwork installed.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Your problem could of course be a natural defect in materials or of manufactuer,but ususlly it is a problem of bad duct size or design or an improper size furnace.
Unless you enjoy spending big dollars on an often basis you should pay someone to do a manuel "J" ,AND a manuel"D"
If you just decide to repair what you have,you will just be at this point again in half the time you would normally have to,plus you will be paying too high a monthly fuel bill until you get the proper size and correct ductwork installed.
Yep, most likely caused by a combination under sized duct and an over sized furnace.
Have a load calc done to find out what size furnace you really need. A static pressure test can be done to determine if your duct work is large enough.

What size is your house, and what is the full model number of your furnace. What size furnaces are they quoting.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

It's a 92% or better AFUE furnace with a lifetime heat exchanger warranty so you won't get much better buying new. The reason many cracked was of a slight burner misalignment. Lennox includes new burners,burner box and all gaskets with the exchanger so it doesn't happen again. Takes me right at 2.5 hours to replace a heat exchanger in one plus shipping cost. I'd suggest calling around and finding a company with less overhead who doesn't need to charge $500 an hour to make a profit. Same guy with a freaking $5000 G61 I'm guessing?

Last edited by Marty S.; 10-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,004

Replace after heat calcs are complete. Do not repair.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

I just did a furnace heat exchanger on a 17 year old furnace Friday and found out the company who ever up it in. Put in 150 btu and it should be 80 btu furnace. Said part it is was 17old furnace is still under warranty but a new heat exchanger will be crack in a year. He going to have to go after other company or we put in the right size.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tator1076 For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,180

I would like to know who charges 1500.00 to install heat exchanger ..by the book this spects out at 3.0 hrs .....any decent company would like to have this job at 300.00 to 400.00 including travel..keep looking around...good luck
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Thor73, here you go for some pricing comparisons http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcat...categoryID=470 As for the heat exchanger, that is a long job for just a homeowner, and not even worth the time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
I just did a furnace heat exchanger on a 17 year old furnace Friday and found out the company who ever up it in. Put in 150 btu and it should be 80 btu furnace. Said part it is was 17old furnace is still under warranty but a new heat exchanger will be crack in a year. He going to have to go after other company or we put in the right size.
Only way that it would crack in a year, is if there is another underlying problem causing it in the first place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I would like to know who charges 1500.00 to install heat exchanger ..by the book this spects out at 3.0 hrs .....any decent company would like to have this job at 300.00 to 400.00 including travel..keep looking around...good luck
400? Including travel. Heck no, thats a cheap company. Not paying their employees much.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Thor73 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #15

Thank you all for the feedback! To follow up on a few of the threads, no company provided a written load calc but after talking to all three, it sounds like it is oversized. My current unit is 75k BTU. The Lennox dealer did not provide any load calc information when asked and specified a 70k BTU unit. The Trane dealer talked through his hand written calculations and specified a 60k BTU unit. The Bryant dealer said his experience tells him that the unit may be oversized but he specified a 75k BTU unit. The only dealer to do a static pressure test was the Trane dealer and he indicated that the test indicated that there is a pressure differential indicating the A-coil may be dirty.

Based on the differing feedback, I am discouraged by the quality of each company except the Trane dealer who seems better than the rest. However, I'm not sure that is a good thing.

Sounds like the most important thing to do is get the sizing right. Couple questions about sizing it correctly:

1) Should a manual J be more official than "experience" and/or hand calcs?
2) Is there an easy "Do it yourself" J calc or free on-line calculator?
3) Does a manual D make sense to do on an existing house where I have no exposed ductwork except the 6x8 furnace room?

Thanks for the continued feedback!