Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

repair of evaporator fins

I have an a/c unit that has some smashed evaporator fins. It seems to be a fairly significant % in my estimation - maybe about 20%. I bought one of those little tools to straighten them out, but they are so smashed in certain areas that it doesn't do any good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair fins that are in such bad shape? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

sobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

you can try metal glue after you reform them.

lastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Do you mean condenser fins (the outside unit)?

Fin tools work okay, but it will take some time and effort to get things right. Start in a section where the fins are straight, and work your way toward the section that is damaged. You sometimes have to rock the took back and forth, in/out to get the thing to work correctly.

Remember too that there are different fin spacings and the fin tool should have different tips to accomodate those spacings. Be sure you're using the right one.

Did I mention it takes time
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

is this a window unit...?take a thin screw driver and from the right top to bottom one fin at a time.trying to push a stack of bent fins won't work
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
plummen (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the responses! I might have used the wrong word to describe though. This is part of a central A/C unit that is outside the house. Is it the evaporator or the condenser?

Also, in order to clean it I can just spray it down with a garden hose, correct?

Thanks!
sobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I have a similar issue at my church house. There is a large 5-ton condensor near the playground. The kids have pushed down a large amount of the fins on the coil. While I can get up few of them at a time with a small screwdriver, that is tedious. I need a fin-comb or something that will open up large amounts of coil fins at a time.
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobro View Post
Thanks for the responses! I might have used the wrong word to describe though. This is part of a central A/C unit that is outside the house. Is it the evaporator or the condenser?

Also, in order to clean it I can just spray it down with a garden hose, correct?

Thanks!
To clean the coils, you need to buy commercial coil cleaner. Do not use the cans from HD or Lowes. They do a crappy job. Commercial coil cleaner is about $20.00 a gallon and will clean a few units. Even if the coils do not appear dirty, if they haven't been cleaned with coil cleaner, they need it. You apply it with a pump up sprayer and let it foam out for 5 minutes and rinse. Remember, don't waste your money on the cans. I learned the hard way.

frazee1 is offline   Reply With Quote