Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing some vents

Good morning... I have a questions... I own an old house that has 6 or 7 vents on the main floor and 2 vents upstairs... it's a big house and the two vents upstairs basically do nothing to heat the upstairs... I live in canada so the winters are cold... there are baseboard heaters upstairs that will have to take care of the heating... my question is, if I remove the vents upstairs, or block them off to redirect that heat to the 6 or 7 vents downstairs... is this going to increase the air flow to those 6 or 7 vents? in other words increase the efficency and heat the main floor quicker? or do I actually need to increase the size of the pipes going to the main floor vents?

rdmccaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Removing some vents

There are a lot of factors involved here but the short answer is yes. Unless you have a zoned system or small ducts that are already at capacity or a small furnace that is undersized.

Get some remote temperature sensors at your local hardware store (Oregon Scientific is a good one) and do a test.

Put some remote sensors upstairs and the weather station downstairs with another remote in another room.

Then watch the temperature for a week. Cover the vents upstairs and then watch to see if there is a difference.

Bottom line is that you will get some heat upstairs as hot air rises so having more heat downstairs will work to help heat the whole house anyhow.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
What can I find here?

Removing some vents

Also, try to fix any leaks in your HVAC ductwork to make it more efficient. Make sure your dampers are being used effectively too.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

Removing some vents

Also check the delta T through the heat exchanger and verify the filters and blower wheel is clean. It may be more of a return air issue. Try pulling the blower door off while the unit is running and see how hard it pulls back.
Leave the door cracked open and see if the air flow increases upstairs.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #5

Removing some vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmccaw View Post
Good morning... I have a questions... I own an old house that has 6 or 7 vents on the main floor and 2 vents upstairs... it's a big house and the two vents upstairs basically do nothing to heat the upstairs... I live in canada so the winters are cold... there are baseboard heaters upstairs that will have to take care of the heating... my question is, if I remove the vents upstairs, or block them off to redirect that heat to the 6 or 7 vents downstairs... is this going to increase the air flow to those 6 or 7 vents? in other words increase the efficency and heat the main floor quicker? or do I actually need to increase the size of the pipes going to the main floor vents?
I get the impression that its old. But how old, because the way you described your house the ducting is still there from the old coal furnace days. The two vents upstairs were gravity and would be 7,8,10 inch pipes. If it is a converted furnace it will have a squirrel cage blower and those can be made to move LOTS & LOTS of air. Check that out take some photos you may only need to get a new pully Goodday
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote