Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

Removing hot water baseboards

I'm having a plumber come in to replace some hot water baseboards, but I have some work to do on the walls before that. So I wanted to remove them myself, which means I need to drain this zone, then cut them out. I think I know what to do, just wanted to verify. On the attached pictures, I'd close the yellow valve, then attach a hose to the blue valve, open the blue valve and let it drain into a bucket. Then I should be able to cut the baseboards, and siphon should draw the rest of the water into the bucket, save for a little that might come out where I cut.

Is that it? What's the red valve for? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing hot water baseboards-img_1528.jpg   Removing hot water baseboards-img_9831.jpg  

SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
I'm having a plumber come in to replace some hot water baseboards...
gotta ask: why do they need to be replaced?

Quote:
...but I have some work to do on the walls before that.
So I wanted to remove them myself, which means...
Call the plumber and ask him to do the drain down portion of the job now.

If you'll be expecting him to reinstall these baseboards (and/or warranty his other work) you'll probably be best off to have him remove the baseboards as well.

You're paying for most of this job either way.
Play it smart.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 06-26-2013 at 09:48 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
gotta ask: why do they need to be replaced?

Call the plumber and ask him to do the drain down portion of the job now.

If you'll be expecting him to reinstall these baseboards (and/or warranty his other work) you'll probably be best off to have him remove the baseboards as well.

You're paying for most of this job either way.
Play it smart.
We're replacing them because they are ugly, and we're renovating the whole room. I would hate to spend thousands making the room look nice only to put up busted old baseboards.

Also, they are installed right against the studs and there was wood paneling that just came down and rested on top of the baseboards. We're having the walls BB / plastered and I want the wall board to go all the way to the floor, and not rest on top of the baseboards.

The plumber is a family friend. He would show up for free, but I wanted to save him the trip on what seems like an easy task.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Is that it? What's the red valve for? Thanks!
You close that and the yellow one when you need to isolate the zone circulator pump for replacement. That way you do not drain down the entire zone.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
You close that and the yellow one when you need to isolate the zone circulator pump for replacement. That way you do not drain down the entire zone.
That makes perfect sense now. Do I have the steps right for draining the entire zone? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #6

shut the RED riser valve for the zone...drain off on the BLUE petcock vent the zone if you have a bleeder above you...first off shut the make up water at the RED regulator to the boiler....during removal...of the zone baseboard
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Shut the yellow valve. Shut off the manual valve for teh water feed. Then find the shut of valve on the supply side of the boiler and close it also. if you don't, you'll have an endless supply of water running out of the blue valve when you open it to drain the loop.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Shut off the manual valve for teh water feed.
Thanks for the response. Yea I have the supply shut off. Sorry, what valve are you referring to here?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Is this wire Hot?

I don't mean to derail your thread, but I have those ugly baseboard radiators too, and was just wondering what you were going to replace them with? Pictures? Thanks.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge View Post
I don't mean to derail your thread, but I have those ugly baseboard radiators too, and was just wondering what you were going to replace them with? Pictures? Thanks.
I'm replacing them with less ugly ones. It's not that we're getting rid of them, we're just getting new ones. The old ones are so dented (from kids) and rusted.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Is this wire Hot?

Quote:
I'm replacing them with less ugly ones. It's not that we're getting rid of them, we're just getting new ones. The old ones are so dented (from kids) and rusted.
I hear ya', a couple years ago I had to redo a room for an in-law suite. My covers weren't in too bad of shape, just dingy paint and a little rust, so I just sanded them down and used a paint sprayer to repaint them to match the wall. They didn't turn out too bad.

I also had the fun of trying to fit beadboard for wainscoating behind the baseboard backplates with their metal burs from being nailed in originally. Sorry I don't have any pics. Good luck with your project!
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Yea I have the supply shut off. Sorry, what valve are you referring to here?
Need a pic from slightly further back to point out the valve for the water feed. I can't see it in the posted pis.