Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing Gas valve/pilot control

I am finally in the process of removing the old valve and want some advice on removing it so I don't crack or break anything. I am enclosing a pic. I am short pipe wrenches but will get them if there is no other way. My main concern is damaging the manifold.

Thanks for any and all help!

Fuzzybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #2

Btw, this is the 34 year old gas hog, and understand the ramifications of continuing use of said relic.

As a update, I have decided to remove the manifold and valve as one so I can clean the burners as well as put the manifold in a "soft jaw" vice to limit flexing. If anyone is against that please feel free to elaborate.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

oh man you got one of THEM.

You may not be able to loosen the old valve from the pipe. The top of the old or the new valve might not clear.

But first thing first:

1) Shut off gas.
2) remove flex gas line and discard. They are rated for one time use only. It will leak slightly if you re use it. Tightening it more could break the gas tight flare.
Get a new flex line.
3) Start removing valve. If the black knob on the valve won't clear the burner manifold, try pushing the knob in ward. If it still won't clear you must remove the gas maifold and spread it slightly to allow old valve to rotate off.

That's a good start. Have any problems I am here all day as well as the other Pros.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
oh man you got one of THEM.

You may not be able to loosen the old valve from the pipe. The top of the old or the new valve might not clear.

But first thing first:

1) Shut off gas.
2) remove flex gas line and discard. They are rated for one time use only. It will leak slightly if you re use it. Tightening it more could break the gas tight flare.
Get a new flex line.
3) Start removing valve. If the black knob on the valve won't clear the burner manifold, try pushing the knob in ward. If it still won't clear you must remove the gas maifold and spread it slightly to allow old valve to rotate off.

That's a good start. Have any problems I am here all day as well as the other Pros.
Ok that remark is never good

Get new gas line CHECK!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #5

don't worry you'll be fine. We have contingencies for every case. No big deal.

Get Goin on gettin that valve off now. Big set of channel lock s(2) 12 inch or 16inch size.

Last edited by hvaclover; 12-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Journeyman

Mark the burners so you can put them back in the same place as they came out. Pay special attention as to where the pilot is located. If you clean the burners with water make sure they are completely dry b4 you try to lite off the furnace,those burners like to hold water in the slots. Also when re-installing the burners you should have a groove in the back of the heat exchanger that the burners will fit into.
pipefitter636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

I figured I would just use a brass brush to clean the burners and compressed air. Brush too harsh?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Journeyman

A brush and air would be fine,make sure when cleaning all of the slots on the burners get cleaned and they are not restricted.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #9

Trust him fuzzy...he's good
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Journeyman

Any updates on your project yet?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #11

Sorry not yet. I am planning to get the job done tomorrow. I was supposed to have a pipe wrench today but the guy forgot to bring it. I appreciate all the advice though. It appears to be a close shave on whether or not the new valve will clear the manifold. I will post project pictures as i go along and won't turn the gas on until you guys see it.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Journeyman

Ok keep us posted, and any questions please ask.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #13

Ok I have the manifold out but I want to check out the heat exchanger. Is the heat exchanger just above the burners? If so, what should I be concerned about? I looked at pictures online and there are various different looking ones.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #14

Look for cracks with a strong light or flash light. The inside will look either ashen or rusted. Accustom your self with the grain of the metal. Then look
for hairline cracks up and down the back and on the sides. A mirror is best but since you have the manifold and the burners out, kneel as low as you cah and shine the light up inside looking for any suspicious lines or cracks.

If you see something go no further and get back to the forum and post what you see.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #15

Update: I just now have gotten the gas valve off and every thing is good except that hvalover was right about the new valve not having enough clearance to spin on. It looks like if I remove the dial assembly, it would clear except it takes a special tool, like a torx bit with a hole in the center. I am not sure where I will find this one though. If you know of any reasons why I should not take the knob assembly off, please let me know. Also the name of the tool I need would be nice also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Look for cracks with a strong light or flash light. The inside will look either ashen or rusted. Accustom your self with the grain of the metal. Then look
for hairline cracks up and down the back and on the sides. A mirror is best but since you have the manifold and the burners out, kneel as low as you cah and shine the light up inside looking for any suspicious lines or cracks.
Unfortunately it all looks kinda crusty. There are some rust cracks on the outside but not in the heat exchanger itself. I do wish I could just replace it all together.