Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

removing blower motor and cleaning housing

I purchased a blower motor and housing for a project and need this thing to be cleaned so that it can blow through a hepa filter and not clog it up with any existing dirt. I started to do this once then thinking i couldnt do it I was unable to reposition the motor so the housing where it didnt rub or have some wobble. I eventually got close and tightened it back up only to have the bolt snap. So now I might as well finish what i started. I had initially just removed the capacitor but should I unplug it from the motor or remove the motor as a whole with capacitor still attached. Also is there a trick to getting the motor to match up with the wheel correctly? This is my main concern.

turtle_juice4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle_juice4u View Post
I purchased a blower motor and housing for a project and need this thing to be cleaned so that it can blow through a hepa filter and not clog it up with any existing dirt. I started to do this once then thinking i couldnt do it I was unable to reposition the motor so the housing where it didnt rub or have some wobble. I eventually got close and tightened it back up only to have the bolt snap. So now I might as well finish what i started. I had initially just removed the capacitor but should I unplug it from the motor or remove the motor as a whole with capacitor still attached. Also is there a trick to getting the motor to match up with the wheel correctly? This is my main concern.
you should pull the blower assy out of the unit...and work on it on a bench or some other flat surface...ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

I'm starting to think the actual axle to the motor if thats what its called isn't straight. I removed it and placed it back in but so long as the fan is on the axle shouldnt it always run straight as in if your looking at it you shouldnt see it go back and forth? If the axle were fixed right I would think even though it may brush the housing on one side it wouldnt have a wobble to it. I'm not sure how durable these things are but I hope I didnt bend it :/
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Iam starting to think you should get it looked at by a pro to see just what is wrong with it....because you seem to be having a hard time with a basic repair...no disrespect intended...ben sr....post a picture of what you have we my be able to help you better....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

After realizing it just took a little more force to get the fan off the motor last night it's been easy since then. I placed the mounting brackets back on the motor after fully cleaning it and tightened the brace. Just when I put it back on and you spin the wheel there is a slight wobble. Simple repair or not is not really my question. It's more what would cause a wobble. I mean the fan fits onto the motor arm, axle, whatever its called i'm not sure but it fits on there tight adn fit. If that arm is straight shouldnt you no matter what get even spin side to side, unless the fan itself is bent? or somehow the arm itself isn't straight. A professional is out of the quesiton. This isn't for my house or something. It's just a diy flow hood build. Plus i'd rather learn the things I don't know so in the future I will not even need to seek help. If i go to a pro they're gonna tell me whats wrong and i'm not going to learn anything :/
The Following User Says Thank You to turtle_juice4u For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

those wheels get warped and off balance from dirt buildup and age/use /metal fatigue. some have balancing clips on the fins like tire balancing weights from day one to balance them. the dirt alters the balance and warps them over time. nothing U can do about it.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

yeah there are two clips. Any idea how to begin balancing it? and so long as the fan isn't rubbing hte housing am I to assume this isn't to much a problem especially since i'm running it on low?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

they are balanced at the factory and not field do-able. when running on low it may not be a problem, just need to try it.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

ah i'm wondering if when i was spraying out the fan the water pressure didn't move it some. I've ran it for 20 min intervals as is and it runs. I'm just wondering if maybe in order to keep the integrity of hte motor it might be worth getting a new wheel. Since it's done at a factory would most furnace repairman be able to balance it as well?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 54

An out of balance wheel, can harm the motor bearings, and ruin them.

Service techs don't balance/re-balance blower wheels. They cost less then what the labor would be to properly re-balance it would be.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

yeah, blower wheels are cheap and our labor rates are not. better to by a new fan with unworn motor and clean balanced wheel. chances are your used motor has wear in it already. try it the way it is.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 30

Since you are wanting to learn how to DIY, remove the blower wheel and do a radial run-out check of the shaft. Secure the motor on a bench, place a wood block against the shaft near the end and rotate the shaft by hand. If there is shaft run-out it will move the wood block and that distance can be accurately measured with a feeler gauge. Doing this will tell you if the motor shaft is at fault.

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote