Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing BIG old boilers

Hello,

I work/volunteer at a site that has several buildings that are dedicated to boilers. We want to empty these buildings for other uses. The boilers probably contain asbestos, but we plan to combat that with a combination of Tyvek suits, respirators and wetting down the area.

My concern is making them small enough to move. Each building has two boilers. Each is approximately 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall by 6 feet deep, with 6 iron sections each. I don't see a Sawzall being all that efficient. I've heard that I can just break them apart with a sledgehammer.

I welcome any opinions.

kobayashimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 514

Removing BIG old boilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashimaru View Post
Hello,

I work/volunteer at a site that has several buildings that are dedicated to boilers. We want to empty these buildings for other uses. The boilers probably contain asbestos, but we plan to combat that with a combination of Tyvek suits, respirators and wetting down the area.

My concern is making them small enough to move. Each building has two boilers. Each is approximately 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall by 6 feet deep, with 6 iron sections each. I don't see a Sawzall being all that efficient. I've heard that I can just break them apart with a sledgehammer.

I welcome any opinions.

Yes take a sledgehammer to the 6 iron sections. A big chisel will also come in handy.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

Removing BIG old boilers

The sections should come apart, big chisel, prybar or crowbar also. Make sure you do some research as to where and how to properly dispose of the asbestos. Cannot just throw it into the general dump I believe. Also if people are going to be living in those bldgs. then there are regulations as to tests to be done later and while you are doing the work the area is supposed to be sheeted off with poly plastic vapor barrior and in a negative pressure with a exhaust fan with a HEPA filter attached to it. Get the procedure from the EPA or you could end up in some serious trouble with liability later on.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,686

Removing BIG old boilers

I would take it a step further and be sure that you are able to handle those materials.

Homeowners are not heavily regulated as to what they can do but you better double check that you don't have to get that safe removed by a professional abatement contractor.

If you don't, please use extreme caution with the asbestos and be safe for not only your own personal safety but anyone around.

This stuff is not to be played with.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Removing BIG old boilers

The place I am working was "certified" asbestos-free by a government contractor. We have a unique situation to say the least. There is probably still asbestos-based cement between the sections.

The current plan for this work will involve workers in full Tyvek suits and respirators while we work. Before work is started, we'll soak everything in water. When we're done, we'll hose ourselves off and get rid of the suits.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Removing BIG old boilers

Have you had any demo contractors in to quote on the job? You know... real companies with tools and trucks and places to haul the debris off to (legally) and crews to do tall that and still get the site all cleaned up too?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Removing BIG old boilers

Because our organization is dirt poor and we are scraping the boilers to raise funds
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Removing BIG old boilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashimaru View Post
Because our organization is dirt poor and we are scraping the boilers to raise funds
Contact them anyway.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote