Remote Controlled Thermostat At Cabin - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Remote controlled thermostat at cabin

So here is my scenario.

I have a very remote cabin where there is no internet service. I blow the lines out and leave the heat off when I leave in the winter. I want to be able to restart the furnace several hours before I get up there as it can take 12 hours to heat the place up.

I usually leave the thermostat in the off position. The furnaces remains powered at all times (hooked up to 110). I have purchased an alarm system that communicates via cell signal. I have purchased an accessory that enables me to turn a 110 volt outlet on and off.

Here is my plan. Use the alarm system to remotely turn on a 110 volt outlet. In that outlet will be a 12volt DC output wall wart. I have a relay that is SPST, which has DC input and switches AC on the out side. It can handle up to 240 VAC on the out side. The output from the wall wart will go to the input of the relay. I will then cut the red thermostat (24 VAC going to thermostat) wire somewhere in the basement and have that switched by the relay.

The plan now will be to leave thermostat on and set to comfortable temperature. It will call for heat all the time when I am gone but will only be able to switch the furnace on when I remotely control the outlet and thus the relay.

Can you all see any holes in this plan? The only slight doubt I have in my mind right now is that the resistance of the relay as I have measured it when it is closed is 5-6k ohms. I have expected much lower. Resistance when open is 1M ohm or greater.

Advertisement

wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 46

Re: Remote controlled thermostat at cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
So here is my scenario.

I have a very remote cabin where there is no internet service. I blow the lines out and leave the heat off when I leave in the winter. I want to be able to restart the furnace several hours before I get up there as it can take 12 hours to heat the place up.

I usually leave the thermostat in the off position. The furnaces remains powered at all times (hooked up to 110). I have purchased an alarm system that communicates via cell signal. I have purchased an accessory that enables me to turn a 110 volt outlet on and off.

Here is my plan. Use the alarm system to remotely turn on a 110 volt outlet. In that outlet will be a 12volt DC output wall wart. I have a relay that is SPST, which has DC input and switches AC on the out side. It can handle up to 240 VAC on the out side. The output from the wall wart will go to the input of the relay. I will then cut the red thermostat (24 VAC going to thermostat) wire somewhere in the basement and have that switched by the relay.

The plan now will be to leave thermostat on and set to comfortable temperature. It will call for heat all the time when I am gone but will only be able to switch the furnace on when I remotely control the outlet and thus the relay.

Can you all see any holes in this plan? The only slight doubt I have in my mind right now is that the resistance of the relay as I have measured it when it is closed is 5-6k ohms. I have expected much lower. Resistance when open is 1M ohm or greater.
A bit old school, but it'll work. Use a bypass switch so that you don't have to worry about it when you're there. You sure that the resistance is that high when closed? I'd condemn a relay at that level. Is it new? Is it a real relay or something solid state? (some SS devices will have higher resistance until current flow is established )

(cellular internet shared between the security and thermostat might work well too)

Cheers!

Advertisement

supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

It is a solid state relay and I was measuring the resistance with the driver side energized but an open circuit on the driven side. Perhaps it is just a measurement error.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,210

I wouldn't go through all of that.

Use a telephone operated thermostat.

https://www.aartech.ca/telephone-con...hermostat.html
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
I wouldn't go through all of that.

Use a telephone operated thermostat.

https://www.aartech.ca/telephone-con...hermostat.html
Forgot about those old guys. Oops.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
It is a solid state relay and I was measuring the resistance with the driver side energized but an open circuit on the driven side. Perhaps it is just a measurement error.
Your meter will not have enough current to drive the gate open properly. It'll give a false reading. It's a property of the device. You'll have to measure indirectly using current. To be honest, I think it'll be fine. (uA vs A scale difference, even a new furnace will be 100x mA)

You can also get mechanical relays with dc coils.

Bob also had a good solution.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Yeah there is no landline and there never will be.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah there is no landline and there never will be.
A cellular version is just as much trouble. I'm leaning back towards your plan.

This place really must be remote.... You like it quiet? Lol

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

It is newer construction. There never was a land line and I sure as heck am not paying to get one run out there in the age of the cell phone.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,210

There is always Satellite Internet, It used to be expensive but now pretty cheap. Plans start at around 30 bucks a month plus equipment rental.

http://www.reviews.org/internet-serv...net-providers/
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

I'm good. This system will cost me a whole $7.99 per month.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

Ok, follow up question. Where would you guys recommend I interrupt the signal with my relay switch. On the hot (red) wire going to the thermostat (24 VAC). Or the White wire (also 24 vac) coming from the thermostat that calls for heat to the furnace? I feel that the Red wire to the thermostat might be cleaner but I worry that cutting the voltage to the thermostat will kill the batteries in that stat much quicker.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok, follow up question. Where would you guys recommend I interrupt the signal with my relay switch. On the hot (red) wire going to the thermostat (24 VAC). Or the White wire (also 24 vac) coming from the thermostat that calls for heat to the furnace? I feel that the Red wire to the thermostat might be cleaner but I worry that cutting the voltage to the thermostat will kill the batteries in that stat much quicker.
If you use a common wire (C) then cut w. Do you have AC there? With AC, R would be better. Without AC and common it doesn't matter.

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #14

I have AC there. Currently the thermostat is only connected to the furnace via the R, G, and W connections on the furnace board. I guess since I don't have a common (C) connection now, there is no way the thermostat could be getting power for its digital operation from the furnace transformer in its current configuration.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 616

Quote:
I have AC there. Currently the thermostat is only connected to the furnace via the R, G, and W connections on the furnace board. I guess since I don't have a common (C) connection now, there is no way the thermostat could be getting power for its digital operation from the furnace transformer in its current configuration.
yep....Battieries

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote