Remodeling And Need Return Vent Advice. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Remodeling and need return vent advice.

Hi, I'm Brittany and this is my first post.

I am planning a remodel for my two bedroom 800 sq ft house. I plan to section off the two bedrooms and make a small efficiency apartment so that I can have a roommate. I have a gas furnace with one return which is located in the area sectioned for the apartment. The two sides of the house will be completely separate, almost like a duplex, but with a locked door in between. The current return vent is located in a hallway which will soon become a bathroom. The vent goes straight down through the floor, makes a 90 degree bend and goes right into the furnace. I am contemplating moving the air return vent about ten feet perpendicular to the furnace so that it will be located in the new hallway instead of in the new bathroom.

My questions:
-Do I need an air return to the furnace on both sides of the house?
-If I have two return vents instead of one, can the diameter of each duct be half as large as the original?
-Can I use flexible duct for the returns? What I have now is about 18" diameter sheet metal and total length is only about 4 feet before it meets the furnace.
-Any ideas about what it would cost to have a professional take care of this? I live in southern Indiana.

Advertisement

bsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
REP

Rewards Points: 500

So where is the thermostat going???
You need a return from each side no matter what.
It sounds like you need a 2 zone system unless you are going to have two furnaces.
Zoning is not an off the shelf situation.The duct has to be sized just so.Both the supply and the return.

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #3

I just planned to leave the thermostat where it is on my side of the house and leave it set to an agreed upon temperature. I'm starting to realize that this might be much more complicated than I imagined. I could possibly keep my single furnace and have it set up for two zones? It's such a tiny house to begin with, less than 800 square feet. Thanks for your reply. I think I might just need to call someone out to look at it and give me an estimate.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #4

Here's a thought! What if I install a vent in the wall between the rooms.. or vents in the floor with duct work that connects the rooms together. Would that free up the air flow enough to not trash my furnace when I keep the doors closed between the two halves of the house?

Tags
duct , flex , furnace , remodel , return