DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Relocating Oil Tank

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bondo 
#1 ·
I am going to install a new oil tank outside to replace an aging one in the basement. The basement is finished so moving the tank will make the room it is in larger. Anyway, I have three locations that I could go with. I am sure two of them may need additional considerations or may not work at all.

First, next to the house. Not my preference but best/easiest choice.

Second, next to a shed, about 30 feet from the point of entry into house so line would be buried. Oil tank would still be higher than furnace.

Third, 15' from point of entry into house BUT tank will be lower than furnace so I imagine some time of pump will be needed.

It will be 275 gal above ground tank. I plan on running 1/2" line inside pvc to house. I am going to draw from the top of the tank. I plan on building a "shed" around tank. Tank will be on a 6" concrete pad.

I prefer #3, does anyone see any reason why it would not work? Will I need some type of pump? If so what is it called?

Thanks,
Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
jbboater,
The 3rd option will be fine. You will probably need to install a 2 stage oil pump. I would also recommend installing 2 lines instead of one. One is for supply and the other is return. you won't stress your pump as much (need less vacum) and it is more forgiving if you start sucking air somewhere. It will self purge the air. Also, not sure how cold where you live, but in OH. we wrap exposed oil lines with heat tape and insulation to prevent freezing the oil. Yes, there are additives, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I would use 1" pvc to run my copper thru. and bury it below the frost line.

#3 ·
Ayuh,....

#3 should work just fine, even with just the oil pump that's mounted to the furnace.....

Up here in this country,...
All outside tanks are filled with #1 fuel oil, because #2 will gell up.....
That saves having to run the heating lines as noted by sgthvac....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.