Relocating A Noisy AC Condenser - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Relocating a noisy AC Condenser

Hi all. I did a search and came up empty on this. Hope its not redundant. I have an old noisy dinosaur AC unit. The condenser is very loud and I would like to relocate it to the side of my house. I have a convienient crawl space off my basement with a straight shot to the side foundation where I could run conduit and copper freon lines. I was going to have a serviceman come to remove the current freon charge, then cut the lines and move everything myself, then have them come back later, and recharge the system. My questions are: 1.) Is this as simple as I have laid out here? and 2.) Should I use flare, compression, or solder joint when reconnecting my copper freon lines? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement

Pitchn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #2

A/C units should be brazed using Sil-Phos which takes Oxy/Acet torches and a trickle of nitrogen through the lines. Leave the reconnect to the pros on that. Besides, why not just upgrade to a newer, more quiet and efficient unit rather than mess around with an old beast??

Advertisement

helper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by helper22
A/C units should be brazed using Sil-Phos which takes Oxy/Acet torches and a trickle of nitrogen through the lines. Leave the reconnect to the pros on that. Besides, why not just upgrade to a newer, more quiet and efficient unit rather than mess around with an old beast??
Couple of reasons. For one, the $1000 quoted to move the old one was steep IMO. I am pretty handy, and my dad is an retired refrigeration/AC guy. Between the two of us we can do this I am sure. Secondly, although the unit is old, the compressor and the evaporator have been replaced within the past 10 yrs. This thing may continue to operate for another 10 before it blows......you never know. I am willing to spend $2-300 to move the thing myself now, and when replacement is necessary, the power, freon lines, and concrete slab will already be in place. That will provide a little savings at that time I am sure.

Thanks for the advise on reconnecting the copper lines. I had a feeling there was more to it than just sweating in a couple of connections.
Pitchn23 is offline   Reply With Quote