Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refrigerant Leak

Hi,
I think I have an A/C refrigerant leak...apparently a small, slow leak (according to HVAC company). However, it's behind drywall in my finished basement, and even with the removal of drywall, not easily accessible. They ran a dye test but couldn't find a leak in the visible areas. I think the hole(s) was created when my basement was finished and the line had to be moved/re-welded.....although I have no way to prove that. Anyway.....

The air is currently cool, but definitely not cold. It keeps us from burning up, but it doesn't really cool us down. To complicate this, the A/C unit and furnace were manufactured in 2004 so they use the older refrigerant (R22?). I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to own this house, so I don't think I have many options other than to cut up the drywall and find the leak. Any others? Can I have it "recharged" every year? Any new leak stopping products out there?

Thanks.

rdblatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,514

Refrigerant Leak

It can be topped off yearly if you wish.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

Refrigerant Leak

Your decision to recharge every year or remove the drywall where the lines run and leak check to find the leak and repair or install new lines and refinish the wall or have new lines installed (abandon the existing)exposed and possibly covered with some sort of covering. You would probably feel better getting it repaired properly and be done with it.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 542

Refrigerant Leak

Before ripping up the wall if you know where the line was spliced you could just make a small hole in the drywall and get the tech to put his sniffer tip in there to check. If the leak is in the wall there should be plenty enough to detect.
COLDIRON (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 608

Refrigerant Leak

Whether you stay or go, R22 is only going up in price! If I were you, I would have leak found and recharge and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblatch View Post
Hi,
I think I have an A/C refrigerant leak...apparently a small, slow leak (according to HVAC company). However, it's behind drywall in my finished basement, and even with the removal of drywall, not easily accessible. They ran a dye test but couldn't find a leak in the visible areas. I think the hole(s) was created when my basement was finished and the line had to be moved/re-welded.....although I have no way to prove that. Anyway.....

The air is currently cool, but definitely not cold. It keeps us from burning up, but it doesn't really cool us down. To complicate this, the A/C unit and furnace were manufactured in 2004 so they use the older refrigerant (R22?). I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to own this house, so I don't think I have many options other than to cut up the drywall and find the leak. Any others? Can I have it "recharged" every year? Any new leak stopping products out there?

Thanks.
COLDIRON (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblatch View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
There is a product available, it's called "easy seal". Some have used it with success.. Most of the pros here will not tell you about it or mention it in a positive light.
Do a little research on it and decide for yourself.
As stated, R-22 will only continue to increase in price per pound.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Refrigerant Leak

Avoid the leak stop . The reason the pros on here don't recommend it is there's a good chance you'll be buying a new system after sticking it in. Only two people on here have reported success while many others have plugged tube,metering devices and compressor death. Surely not worth the risk to avoid a 50 dollar drywall patch or simply topping off the system every summer.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 608

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Avoid the leak stop . The reason the pros on here don't recommend it is there's a good chance you'll be buying a new system after sticking it in. Only two people on here have reported success while many others have plugged tube,metering devices and compressor death. Surely not worth the risk to avoid a 50 dollar drywall patch or simply topping off the system every summer.

made this mistake in my truck, used product for auto and it clogged the fixed orifice tube
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Refrigerant Leak

If you add freon only once a year , then it's a small leak which sometimes hard to find, try add the easy seal to the unit and recharge the system to the correct charge. That might stop the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
ryandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,020

Refrigerant Leak

Quick fixes are exactly what they are do not use any sealers in the system. Good old leak detection and repair is the only right way to do the job. Every time you use additives to the system it causes problems somehow somewhere in the system. Plus if you sell the house wouldn't you fell better selling the property with a properly repaired system? I would.
digitalplumber (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Avoid the leak stop . The reason the pros on here don't recommend it is there's a good chance you'll be buying a new system after sticking it in. Only two people on here have reported success while many others have plugged tube,metering devices and compressor death.

Scare tactics!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,514

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Scare tactics!

Kind of like when an electrician tells someone its unsafe to use the ground as a neutral.
digitalplumber (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Refrigerant Leak

go with sheetrock surgery and locate the line then have it repaired...cause as the Freon leaks so does the compresser oil droplets(wet spot on the pipe is the leak) and a compressor is gong to crap .have the Freon recovered,good micron test and a solid recharge.if you don't do it now when you go to sell it is going to hammer you with and inspection of the new owners...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (07-13-2013), digitalplumber (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Scare tactics!
If the truth scares you so be it.
I'll have no problems sleeping at night by giving home owners sound,and free, advice on what's best for their system. If you want to suggest stop leak go ahead. Just be up front with the folks that it worked for you and one other guy on here but there have been many system failures after using it. Might be a good idea to tell them that you're not a hvac guy too so they know how much experience you have in the matter.

Think about this...the hvac guys giving advice on here have zero financial interest in our suggestions. Why would each and every one of them that have tried the product, and made money from replacing those systems, NOT suggest a home owner use it? If it was a big conspiracy to keep money in our pockets then we wouldn't be on here giving free DIY advice in the first place.

Have a good weekend.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (07-12-2013), Ebierley (07-13-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Refrigerant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S.
If the truth scares you so be it.
I'll have no problems sleeping at night by giving home owners sound,and free, advice on what's best for their system. If you want to suggest stop leak go ahead. Just be up front with the folks that it worked for you and one other guy on here but there have been many system failures after using it. Might be a good idea to tell them that you're not a hvac guy too so they know how much experience you have in the matter.

Think about this...the hvac guys giving advice on here have zero financial interest in our suggestions. Why would each and every one of them that have tried the product, and made money from replacing those systems, NOT suggest a home owner use it? If it was a big conspiracy to keep money in our pockets then we wouldn't be on here giving free DIY advice in the first place.

Have a good weekend.
Well said Marty.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote