DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Red button on control box keeps tripping

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  secutanudu 
#1 ·
I have a ~1994 Weil-McLain oil fired boiler. A few weeks ago the control box went bad and it cost me a Sunday service call to have it replaced. It worked fine for about 2-3 weeks after that. Then, the red button popped up while I was at work. Pressing the button once started it up, and it worked fine for 1-2 more weeks.

Then it tripped again, I hit the button, and 3 days later (yesterday) it stopped working again. So yesterday I hit the button one more time, and it was running this morning.

Some more history:

-I get the boiler cleaned/serviced every year
-I got the transformer replaced about 2 years ago
-Combustion chamber replaced last year

The service tech checked the motor when he was here 3-4 weeks ago and said it was ok. Is this likely a dud Honeywell control box (I hope, since it'd be free under warranty), or is this likely something else?

Is there anything I can check before the tech comes out this afternoon?

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
He checked a bunch of stuff...said the nozzle looked really dirty so he replaced it. He checked the oil on the boiler-side of the filter, said it was clean, looked at the transformere, and he said the motor sounded fine.

I think he checked a few more things but I'm not sure exactly what. What should he have checked?

#6 ·
Oil pressure.
Transformer spark(not just see if it jumped 3/8", but how strong it was).
Draft over fire, if too low it will/can damage the nozzle.
If the nozzle looked really dirty. And you get it serviced every year. Should check for a cause. It can be the nozzle itself. Or other problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.