Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

rechargeing heat pump

I am replacing the coil in the air handler of my comfortmaker heatpump. My friend, who is a hvac guy, is helping me out with this job. He does not work on heatpumps very much and is not sure how to charge,(r22), the unit when the temperature is at 30 to 40 degrees. Can someone plese advise me on the proper procedure to charge the unit in cold weather? I live in N E Ohio. Thanks.

Last edited by mole; 01-08-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: more detail
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #2

rechargeing heat pump

so the coil is installed and your running a vacuum...on the entire system microns are good 500/250 or 2 joints where brazed right...? your hoses are on the condenser at the liquid and suction ports and the guages are in a vacuum.UNIT IS OFF...connect the middle hose to the freon cyclinder "purge" the middle hose" FLIP THE CAN" open the hi side and let the liquid line fill up till the entire show equalizes right onto that suction guage.now the system is positive liquid line is full.upright the can shut the hi side guage....start the unit in heating and let it run check the temp on that suction line should be running 120F-130F.sub cooling and superheats others will kick in on those to fine tune it.i good running HP you shouldn't be able to grab the suction line in the heating mode....no matter what the freon is....

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
mole (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

rechargeing heat pump

weigh the charge in......
mole (01-08-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

rechargeing heat pump

thanks for the advice on charging the unit. When my coil went out I had two different hvac suys come out. The first one just eyeballed the outside unit, put the gages on and determined that i had a leak bbut he didnt determine where the leak was. He never even came into the house. He did charge the unit which only lasted two days. To charge he placed the r22 tank into a bucket of hot water and proceeded to charge the unit. Is this something that is advised? Is turning the tank upsidedown a better way? Im new to the site so hope i am doing this proper. thanks from mole.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

rechargeing heat pump

you should not attempt using hot water. it takes a trained and experienced eye to make sure the can does not blow the rupture relief. If that happens you could suffer blindness and sever frost burns.

On top of that you could get fined for not having a refer handling card issued by an officially sanctioned testing authority.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac5646 For This Useful Post:
mole (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

rechargeing heat pump

The water was actually warm, probably 80 to 90 degrees. What about the turning of the tank upside down? My friend , a hvac guy, will be doing this for me. He just has expressed to me that he didnt know how to charge the unit when the weather outsde is cold. He is licensed.

Last edited by mole; 01-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

rechargeing heat pump

unless you have an EPA card I don't think you should attempt this. Inverting a drum of gas poses dangers of it's own.

And what about the coil? where are you on that?
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

rechargeing heat pump

We had to reorder it. They had it, but someone ran into it with a tow motor. My bad luck. My hvac friend has installed plenty air conditioner units but he does that in summer months.Thats why he is a little apprehensive about doing this in winter.

Last edited by mole; 01-09-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #9

rechargeing heat pump

put the cylinder in a warm 5gallon pale...purge the middle hose and open that hi side guagethe system isn't going to take 30lbs once the liquid line fills up the condenser will pressurize with gas along with the liquid expanding thru the air handler........it isn't brain surgery or put the tank in the basement next to the boiler and run a hose out to the condenser.....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

rechargeing heat pump

The outdoor unit should have a data tag with the factory charge. that charge is good for the most common matching coil, and 15 foot of line set. have him charge by weighing in that amount.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (01-09-2012)