Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Recently installed Bypass humidifier. Should my house feel colder?

Here's the situation. I bought an older house a few years ago that's pretty loose and drafty. I plan on re-insulating when I redo my siding this summer and tightening the house up. However, in the meantime the house has been incredibly dry. Humidity lower than 20% and floors creaking, noses bloody, lips chapped, and all around static. So I installed an Aprilaire 500A. Pretty proud of myself as it's my first time installing something like that. The humidifier seems to have helped. Even on the colder nights with the furnace running a lot the humidity has been around 40%. One thing I've noticed though is that the house feels a bit colder now even though the temp is still set at 70. I had thought that it should feel warmer and that I may be able to lower the thermostat to 68 or 69 but my wife's even noticed it.

Does the temp feel colder because there is more moisture in the air and moisture transmits temperatures easier than air?

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Here's the situation. I bought an older house a few years ago that's pretty loose and drafty. I plan on re-insulating when I redo my siding this summer and tightening the house up. However, in the meantime the house has been incredibly dry. Humidity lower than 20% and floors creaking, noses bloody, lips chapped, and all around static. So I installed an Aprilaire 500A. Pretty proud of myself as it's my first time installing something like that. The humidifier seems to have helped. Even on the colder nights with the furnace running a lot the humidity has been around 40%. One thing I've noticed though is that the house feels a bit colder now even though the temp is still set at 70. I had thought that it should feel warmer and that I may be able to lower the thermostat to 68 or 69 but my wife's even noticed it.

Does the temp feel colder because there is more moisture in the air and moisture transmits temperatures easier than air?
no, on the contrary, humidity will make you feel warmer.......

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

Harleyrider is correct. You should feel warmer. But as loose as your house is you run the heat at 68 you might not have enough run time on the furnace to correctly humidify the home.

My own experience with humidity at 40% at 68* is like being dunked in cold water.

That's just my two cents as most humidifiers are made to be run at temps in the 70s to ensure proper comfort.

I never advise a customer to run a furnace at 68* after I install a new humidifier. Had a few who wanted it they're way and all they accomplished was a colder home.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #4

Mine feels warmer after adding the humidifier but I still have the temp set to 70. Do you have a humidity gage in the living space?
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
how

Hey guys. This is interesting!
Up here in the Vancouver wetlands we tend to set humidyfiers at 32 to 34% or we start to get complaints about wood swollen doors, windows or dripping single glaze windows. The only folks I know that maintain a 40%+ are musicians with collections of old wood instruments and yet I'm hearing that 40 seems like an acceptable average elsewhere. That's new info for me.
I've also never had a complaint about a house feeling colder after adding a humidifyer when they are set up at 32 - 34%.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #6

That's the thing..... I am still setting my stat at 70. Both before and after the humidifier install. To me it doesn't feel as warm now. Maybe it's all in my head.

Right now at this moment it's 32 degrees outside. I checked the humidistat on the Aprilaire unit and it is reading 38% humidity. I have a small humidistat in my living room and although it doesn't give me a percent it does show in the "comfort zone" so I'm guessing it's it's right there around 35-40%.

I haven't noticed any condensation on my windows but my floors are still creeking. I can tell a difference in how the house feels though. My daughters hair is not standing up form static. lol. I was just expecting it to feel a bit toastier. Maybe I'll turn the furnace up to 72 and see how that feels.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #7

saw a youtube and the tech talkin' bypass said that a furnace uses 930 BTUs of heat to evap a pound of water into the supply air,and up into the house and plus your bypassing return into the supply air mix
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
That's the thing..... I am still setting my stat at 70. Both before and after the humidifier install. To me it doesn't feel as warm now. Maybe it's all in my head.

Right now at this moment it's 32 degrees outside. I checked the humidistat on the Aprilaire unit and it is reading 38% humidity. I have a small humidistat in my living room and although it doesn't give me a percent it does show in the "comfort zone" so I'm guessing it's it's right there around 35-40%.

I haven't noticed any condensation on my windows but my floors are still creeking. I can tell a difference in how the house feels though. My daughters hair is not standing up form static. lol. I was just expecting it to feel a bit toastier. Maybe I'll turn the furnace up to 72 and see how that feels.

Humidity will have an an immediate effect on health. But for the floors it will take a few weeks to absorb the the moisture.
I can imagine your daughter's relief to have the static gone.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Wow. The things you need to keep the family happy. We keep the thermostat at 55 and it usually stays above 50. I am having a contest with myself to see if I can only use one tank of heating fuel this winter.

That's odd that it feels colder with more humidity. Like everyone else said, I would think more humidity would make you feel warmer.
tractorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Our perception of temperature is due to the transfer of heat between our bodies and the environment. It has to do with the body's need to maintain a constant temperature by regulating dissipation of the metabolic heat it generates. Heat and temperature are closely related but distinct concepts. Temperature is a measure of our perception of hotness or coldness. The faster we lose heat to a substance, the colder it feels to us. Heat is energy in the form of molecular motion which moves spontaneously only from high temperature to low temperature. Dissipation of metabolic heat to the air is by convection, conduction, radiation, and latent heat. Of these, only radiation depends entirely on the temperature of the air. The others are affected by moving air and humidity. Because dry air is a poor conductor we exchange only small amounts of heat with it by conduction. Humid air is a slightly better conductor so when it is cold and humid we lose heat more rapidly than we would otherwise and it feels colder than it really is. Moving air feels colder because it removes the heated air from around the skin's surface. The effect of this convective heat loss is measured by the wind chill factor: the temperature at which still, dry air would conduct heat from unclothed skin at the same rate as the wind does at the ambient temperature. A heat transfer problem arises when exertion increases the metabolic rate. To keep its temperature from rising too high the body must exhaust this excess heat. Another problem arises when the air is warmer than the skin. Heat flows only from hot to cold so the body cannot lose heat to the warmer air by conduction, convection or radiation. The solution to both problems is the evaporation of perspiration from the skin which absorbs heat. This latent heat loss is faster in warm air, but slower in humid air. Warm, humid, air feels warmer than it really is because we are not losing heat to it rapidly enough. Cold, damp air feels colder than it really is because we are losing heat to it too rapidly. Moving air feels cool because it both carries away heat and increases evaporation.