Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Recalibrating thermostats

I have two Hunter brand thermostats. Both are very inaccurate - the downstairs one is reading 60 when the wall it's on is actually 50, and the air is cooler. The second floor is slightly more accurate, but not much. Can I recalibrate them or do I have to throw them out and replace?

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Have you tried:
http://www.hunterfan.com/Support/Man...-Parts-Guides/
You never mentioned which model you have.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

if it's just the thermometer on the covers sure you can if that style if it is the actual wall stat does it have mercury bulbs level is the only calibration there....if their digital might be leaking warmer air up the wall thru the hole the stat wire comes in....actually keeping it off....if you remove the cover to adjust the thermometer hold it with 2 fingers at the bottom...your hand heat will effect the adjustment and let it sit on a wall thermomter and read it then tweek it with a screw adjustment on the bi metal...place it down see if it's somewhat the same..
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

They are all kinds of things that can affect the "accuracy" of thermostats: a stack effect moving air up the interior of the wall, a heating duct or pipe at the interior of the wall behind the thermostat, placement too close to a register, return, radiator or contractor, sunlight falling on the thermostat, etc. - make sure there are no outside influences before deciding the stat is mos-calibrated.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

Some of the new digital stats have a "calibrate" function that lets you adjust the reading for local conditions. Place or hold a good thermometer in the air in the room and then adjust the stat temp to match. That zeros out any errors due to how/where the stat is mounted.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Just pulled it off the wall. The model is B01, then the next line under that is 063-HUNB01101L08

No calibrate button that I can find.

The wall does not have a vent (we have hot water baseboard) the baseboard heat is on the far two walls. No sunlight. No incandescent lights near by. The thermostat is mounted on the wall directly, and the wall temp was 50, but it was reading 60.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

What are you using to measure ambient air temp on the wall & in the room? Also, where are these thermostats located in the home? Is this home shut down for the Winter, or are you actually living there? 60 is really low for human habitation, even at 50 if that is the true temp, is way too low.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Don't WANNA do it myself

I am using my new infrared non-contact laser thermometer to measure wall temperature. I got it yesterday to try and help find firebreaks in the walls (it's not nearly sensitive enough for that, unlike the pro-level one I got to play with during my energy audit a few years ago.)

Yes, we keep the house at 60 in the winter downstairs, and 55 upstairs. No, that is not a typo. The home is 130 years old, big, brick and has no insulation (we're working on the insulation issue.) The most expensive heating bill we have had in 4 winters is $475, to keep it at 60.

One thermostat is in the living room, on an interior wall, near the center of the house. The other is on the wall in the upstairs hall, also in the center of the house. Heating is hot water baseboard, run around the perimeter of each floor.

You can see it in my avatar (though they ripped off the cupola before be purchased it.)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Still even keeping it at 60 is defeating the purpose of having. And as for that non-contact, it will give erroneous problems if the house is not well insulated. The first step is to get air leaks sealed, attic insulated, then you should be able to bring the thermostat up to at least 68. As for calibrating those two thermostats, need to read through the installer instructions.

You need to get a thermometer that is independent of the thermostats, and place in the common used room (ie family or living room), and measure ambient air temp.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Don't WANNA do it myself

I have to be honest here, I have never lived in a house or apartment that was kept over 65 in the winter. Probably the dorms in college, but that's it. My parents kept the house around 60, and I have done the same in both houses that I have owned. That's just not a big deal to me, if I'm cold I put on a sweatshirt. No, it's not bravado or anything like that, it's winter in western New York - I don't expect it to be warm.

I'll have to find a thermometer and measure the "general room air." I'm sure there's one around here some place.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

My brother lives up in the Ft. Drum area, so I know from hearing how he says that it is a kick in the pants, when it comes to heating oil prices. Find out what the ambient air temp in the rooms are, then go from there. Problem is, when you measure walls, especially Plaster & Lathe, you will get false readings.

Go around and seal all air leaks that you can, place 3m shrink film over the windows, use either rolled up beach towels, or door socks, to stop drafts at the bottom of doors, also make sure that weather stripping is in place around door frames, to help stop air leaks. The more air leaks you can stop, the better you will be, even if all you have for insulation, is in the attic space, nothing in the walls.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
REP

My own experience (over 30 years) is that those temp guns are totally wortless for accurate temp readings.You'd be better off using a cooking thermometer.
The second thing my experience with Hunter has not been just bad but terrible.
Get yourself a White Rogers or at least a Honeywell stat.While you have the mounting plate off the wall stick some insulation into the hole the wires are coming out of.
Now everyone has to do what is right for themselves but if your boiler goes down while you are at work all your water pipes could end up getting frozen.That is a mess you never want to deal with. Spending money on insulation is not a luxury it is a need and it is the cheapest insurance you can buy.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Don't WANNA do it myself

Quote:
Spending money on insulation is not a luxury it is a need and it is the cheapest insurance you can buy.
I agree completely. We're working on the insulation issue now, but I can't do anything about that until we solve the electric issue. (see huge posts in the electric section for that!)