Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Reaidential Duct Design

looking for anybody that can lead me to a duct design progrm or literature on the internet .Will give my house dimensions so experienced SMW could recomend sizing My house is 23ft.by31ftstory and half with 4ft crawlspace where the furnace will be installed Thank You!!!

Trouble-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

Reaidential Duct Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble-T View Post
looking for anybody that can lead me to a duct design progrm or literature on the internet .Will give my house dimensions so experienced SMW could recomend sizing My house is 23ft.by31ftstory and half with 4ft crawlspace where the furnace will be installed Thank You!!!
Thats one tall order! And even with a floor plan I'm not sure I or anyone can help. Is this new or a remodel? Have you had any HVAC people in to look at your job? Whats your thoughts on furnace placement?

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

Reaidential Duct Design

Ya I guess I was a little vague. The original ductwork has a subtle aroma of mildew and fuel oil from the original oilburner that was originaly in the house so I figured the only way to eliminate the problem and the fact that some of the registers arent getting the proper cfm's would be to replace the entire system. Minus the furnace that is 2 seasons old 60000btu mid efficiency Luxair.Bottom line what I need is PTO size,main trunk, return,and branch lines the longest being the branch that runs from the crawlspace to the top floor about 20ft which comes rate off plenum take off and roughly 8, 10ft takeoffs evenly spaced down the length of the main supply trunk.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #4

Reaidential Duct Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble-T View Post
Ya I guess I was a little vague. The original ductwork has a subtle aroma of mildew and fuel oil from the original oilburner that was originaly in the house so I figured the only way to eliminate the problem and the fact that some of the registers arent getting the proper cfm's would be to replace the entire system. Minus the furnace that is 2 seasons old 60000btu mid efficiency Luxair.Bottom line what I need is PTO size,main trunk, return,and branch lines the longest being the branch that runs from the crawlspace to the top floor about 20ft which comes rate off plenum take off and roughly 8, 10ft takeoffs evenly spaced down the length of the main supply trunk.
So besides all that is their anything else?
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #5

Reaidential Duct Design

No thats pretty much I didnt take into consideration the heat loss or the fact that I live in northerly climate or that the house faces north south.Just the duct sizing will be fine???
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #6

Reaidential Duct Design

Is your current ductwork inadequate besides the odor? Why not replace like for like? Or better yet why not clean the current ductwork?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #7

Reaidential Duct Design

Some of registers do not have equal presure.Also the original furnace was an oil burner and I'm not sure but Ithink the heat exchanger might have been cracked and left an oily residue in plenum amd moet of main trunk.