Re-Route Ducts Into Addition? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-Route Ducts into Addition?

Hello,
I am looking for a solution to fix this duct route. The house had an addition put on 4 yrs ago and this was their solution to running the ducts into the new addition. The return is in the pic and the supply is on the other side of the girder. The supply has one 6” flex pipe coming off the trunk and has a Y connection into 2 more 6” ducts. It also has a significant bend off the trunk and has a many bends restricting air flow.

I am looking to finish the basement and want to frame a wall on appr a 45 degree angle in the corner where the ductwork is to have direct 36”access to the circuit panel from the front and hide the ducts from the back side of the wall in adjacent laundry room.
The addition has two supply registers at the far end of the home and I would like to figure out a way to have two 6” supply ducts come off the trunk and supply each register without a Y connection. The problem is there is a girder running parallel to the existing trunk so I think I need to come from the bottom of the trunk and try to run 45’s or 90's somehow?
What is the best way to come off the trunk with the girder there and supply the addition? I would like to use rigid pipe and not flex pipe for better airflow because the registers are so far away.
The return has a gas shut-off valve in front of the trunk so I can’t tap into it straight on.
I am going to frame the existing cut-out to the crawl space so there is room for the ducts to go into the crawl space and have a cabinet door to the right for access.

Any ideas? Thanks for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Re-Route Ducts into Addition?-ductwork-going-into-addition-crawl-space.jpg   Re-Route Ducts into Addition?-1-6in-flexpipe-going-2-registers-y-connection.jpg   Re-Route Ducts into Addition?-end-supply-trunk-what-best-way-route-under-girder.jpg   Re-Route Ducts into Addition?-6-supply-off-trunk-significant-bend-running-over-girder.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by CroMagnon; 07-07-2012 at 09:01 PM.
CroMagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

No pic.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry, I just added the pics. Ideally I would like to come off the end of the supply trunk and go directly into the crawl space and then frame the wall in front so it is not visible and still have enough clearance for the circuit panel from the adjacent room.

Please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything.

Thanks a lot.
CroMagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Probably be able to use a 8" take off, and run a single 8" pipe into the crawl and then tee it to 2-6". This ill give you a lot more air flow then the current 6" that is supplying 2-6".
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote