Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 524

Ratings of hot air gas furnaces

Hello,
I want to replace my hot air gas furnace with one with a good dependability rating. I want to upgrade to a high efficiency unit. Any suggestions appreciated. The local contractors are installing units by "Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Heil, Lennox, Trane, York, Miller and Rheem. These seem to be the favorites but not necessarily the best. I look for quality before I check for price. But local availability will determine which model I"ll have installed.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Rheem has been around a while. I think you should check the models of all furnances that you listed and go with the one that has best energy rating. Meaning how efficent it is. Unfortunately I don't really no who makes the best forced air furnance on the market. But when i seen rheem something went off in my head. If you were talking hot water furnace I definately would say weil mclane. Hopefully one of the hvac guys will be around but your might want to check into the rheem
UPDATE You might consider calling your local library and asking if they carry consumer report magazine. If so some saturday or sunday go there tell librarian you would like to see last 9 monthes of her issues. I sure in one of them they will rate best Force air furnance. Also seeing how your going to install new furnance you might want to ask about a electronic air filter to be attached to it. It will filter particulars 100 times smaller than a regular filter and once a month you can just put in dishwasher to clean. I know american standard makes one.

Last edited by 747; 05-02-2005 at 03:36 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Rheem has been around a while. I think you should check the models of all furnances that you listed and go with the one that has best energy rating. Meaning how efficent it is. Unfortunately I don't really no who makes the best forced air furnance on the market. But when i seen rheem something went off in my head. If you were talking hot water furnace I definately would say weil mclane. Hopefully one of the hvac guys will be around but your might want to check into the rheem
UPDATE You might consider calling your local library and asking if they carry consumer report magazine. If so some saturday or sunday go there tell librarian you would like to see last 9 monthes of her issues. I sure in one of them they will rate best Force air furnance. Also seeing how your going to install new furnance you might want to ask about a electronic air filter to be attached to it. It will filter particulars 100 times smaller than a regular filter and once a month you can just put in dishwasher to clean. I know american standard makes one.
Hello,
I was thinking of Rheem because it has a good record of not needing repair as much as the other makes. According to Comsumer Reports, American Standard got the best rating and I believe it is one of the oldest manufacturers of heating equipment and Rheem was rated very good behind them. Both
products are probally equal. I have a American Standard technician stopping by tomorrow to check what model will be best for me.
rjordan392@cs.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392@cs.com
Hello,
I was thinking of Rheem because it has a good record of not needing repair as much as the other makes. According to Comsumer Reports, American Standard got the best rating and I believe it is one of the oldest manufacturers of heating equipment and Rheem was rated very good behind them. Both
products are probally equal. I have a American Standard technician stopping by tomorrow to check what model will be best for me.
American standard I think is Trane also, it is their lower end model.
hvacguru is offline   Reply With Quote