Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

Range Hood venting

I went through previous posts and I wasnt able to find something that addressed my concern.

I want to put a range hood in with a vent to the outside. The hood will be on an interior wall. I will use a wall mounted hood, preferably one with a "chimney". I cannot go into the ceiling and out because the joists run in the wrong direction. I want to make a 90 out the side of the chimney and run about 6' to the outside wall. Part of this will be visable since it will be a chimney style vent and I will have to go across the open space to the top of the adjoining cabinets to the outside wall. Although this will most certainly have an industrial look I would prefer a cleaner look and I cannot figure out. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Range Hood venting

You could build a soffit, framed and drywalled or out of material that matches your cabinets. Or just make the duct out of (or wrap it with) copper or stainless steel. One other possibility would be to hide the duct behind a wrought iron or stainless steel pot rack.

It would be easier to make suggestions if we could see a picture of the area.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

Range Hood venting

I am leaning towars getting stainless steel to match the chimney venting and wrap the ductwork with that. I have attached a picture to provide some clarity. I want to remove the microwave and the cabinet above it to replace it with a "chimney style" hood. Some other others are under cabinet hoods and keep cabinets etc. I am looking for ideas. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Range Hood venting-kitch_oven_wall.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Range Hood venting

Once you remove the cabinet you'll need to redo the crown around it. Since you'll have that to do already, I would add a soffit above those 2 cabinets and let the vent go there.

I don't really get why you can not go into the space above, the joist direction should not matter, and since it goes against the wall there should not be one right above anyway. Or I just didn't understand something.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #5

Range Hood venting

The soffit is definitely one idea...although I am not crazy about the look of a soffit. How could I go across the ceiling. It is a first floor of a second floor home and the joist run perpendicular to the direction I will need the vent to go (in this case looking at the picture to the right of the stove. Thanks though...the more ideas the better.