Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

Range hood vent pipe condensation

Greetings!

Just noticed today the the exhaust pipe from the range hood is full of condensation and dripping in the basement. This is a 3 year old home. The pipe runs through the wall to the basement below the kitchen, between the joists and then vents through the exterior wall.

I checked online for causes and 2 things I see are an open damper or improperly pitched pipe and neither of these apply. The damper outside is closed, but when I put my hand up to the range hood I can still feel a bit of cold air. Right now it is about just above zero outside.

Would wrapping the pipe with insulation remedy this problem or is it something more complicated than that?

Thanks

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

The little bit of cool air leaking by the damper is chilling the duct and causing the sweating so insulating the pipe should do the trick.

Of course if it was me, I would start getting crazy and think about installing some kind of insulated dampers with motor operated closers......

Don't know if they've been invented yet though...

My project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/bunga...-build-169318/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Well, if you can feel cold air coming in the vent, then warm air is leaving the house somewhere else. Might want to check your bathroom exhaust vents to make sure those dampers are closing.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Might want to check your bathroom exhaust vents to make sure those dampers are closing.
I was just in the attic a few weeks ago checking on the bathroom vents because of issues with hornets and the dampers were closed at that time.

It's not a lot of cold air I feel by the range hood, just a very little when I stick my hand right up to where it vents. I just did a smoke test with a candle and the smoke is not noticeably being sucked up into the range vent.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Okay, now turn on your bathroom exhaust fan, and do that candle test while the bath fan is on.