DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

range hood opening is bigger than range hood

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  COLDIRON 
#1 ·
Hello,
I recently remodeled my kitchen and my dad n I built the cabinets are selfs. We have built bedroom sets and other furniture so it wasnt our first experience being DIYers. We did our homework on how to construct and had the cabinets designed by a designer. All the cabinets n crown molding are done and it looks great! Only one problem..... when we built the cabinet above the range hood we gave ourselves 3/16" play to install the hood. When we were installing the range hood we noticed that the opening for the range hood is about 5/16" bigger than the range hood itself. Little did I know that a 30" range hood isnt 30"! i know what i could do but that includes taking down the cabinets and redoing them which I am not to crazy about. if anyone has any ideas that i could use to feel in this gap n save me the headache of taking the cabinets apart that would be great! THANKS!

#2 ·
I recently remodeled my kitchen and my dad and I built the cabinets ourselves. We have built bedroom sets and other furniture so it wasn't our first experience being DIYers. We did our homework on how to construct and had the cabinets designed by a designer. All the cabinets and crown molding are done and it looks great! Only one problem..... when we built the cabinet above the range hood we gave ourselves 3/16" play to install the hood. When we were installing the range hood we noticed that the opening for the range hood is about 5/16" bigger than the range hood itself. Little did I know that a 30" range hood isnt 30"! i know what i could do but that includes taking down the cabinets and redoing them which I am not to crazy about. if anyone has any ideas that i could use to fill in this gap and save me the headache of taking the cabinets apart that would be great! THANKS!
First, and I'm not trying to be rude, but, when communicating in a text based medium proper spelling and punctuation goes a long way.

Second, you could try messing with two 5/32" spacers to fill the space, but I suspect it will be a lot of effort for a less than perfect result. For the best result, pull the cabinets and do it properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.