Range Hood Ductwork - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

range hood ductwork

Hello, I've got a few minor issues that I need help on. I recently had a new kitchen range hood installed. There was none previously except for a really old ceiling fan that exhausted back into the attic (I never understood the lack of wisdom behind such a design/device). The house is built 1950. The handyman that I hired cut a square hole into my ceiling through which to run the ductwork but now there is gap between the square hole and the round duct. I know this is not right but he's long gone. How do I seal up this gap in the ceiling, between kitchen and attic? I've seen in other properly done kitchens that there's a round metal plate that goes around the duct, forming such a seal.

From the attic upwards the duct goes straight through another square hole in the roof. I had a professional roofer install the roof vent, but he didn't touch anything else other than install the roof vent. So again, there's a square whole in the roof (over which the roof vent covers) and the round duct and gap all around. Does this gap also need to be sealed and if so, how?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

range hood ductwork

Got some pictures?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

range hood ductwork

Thanks for the fast response. I'll get some pictures posted up tonight.

I have a 1955 home and am finding all sorts of little things that need fixing; jobs that are too small for a licensed contractor to deal with but if I were to hire a handyman I'd rather learn to do it myself.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

range hood ductwork

Should be as simple as cutting out a piece of sheetrock to cover up the hole in the attic and add insulation over it.
As far as the roof he should have cut out a 2' X 2' patch to go under the shingles with a round hole in it for the vent.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #5

range hood ductwork

Ok, i've attached a diagram of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
range hood ductwork-download.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

range hood ductwork

I know what your talking about, but needed to see just how big the gap it.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

range hood ductwork

No problem, I'll post actual photos tonight...Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #8

range hood ductwork

Ok, photos attached. You can see what a poor job this one. First of all, the wiring is completely not to code and to just thread it right through the big hole that was cut. Anyway, you can see what I mean regarding the square opening leaving big gaps. I know it's not suppose to look like this. There's also a photo of the square opening cut into the roof and the way the duct goes up into it. So, I want to fix this hack job on my own rather than paying someone to do it. Although, I will have an electrician redo the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
range hood ductwork-sm_img_0863.jpg   range hood ductwork-sm_img_0865.jpg   range hood ductwork-sm_img_0868.jpg   range hood ductwork-sm_mg_0779.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #9

range hood ductwork

If I had to fix that I would measure the width and length needed, cut a piece of sanded 1/4 plywood to size.
Take measurement from the edge of the face frame of the cabinet to the edge of the pipe, mark my piece of wood, find the center and make an X. Then use a hole saw to make the hole, no 4" hole saw then you can use a compuss to make the circle and use a jig saw.
Stain and seal it.
Remove the pipe, remove that cove moulding in the back of the cabinet and install the new piece.
Some PL adhesive should hold it in place.
Reinstall the cove and the pipe, use foil tape at the joints.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,046

range hood ductwork

They manufacture sheet metal things called bases/guides that class B pipe and smoke pipe pass through partitions and roofs they are square with a round hole in the middle that the pipe goes through.
The reason is to keep hot pipes 1" away from combustible materials.
A square hole is cut and the base/guide is nailed in place then as the pipe is assembled its passed through the base and held in place with tabs or straps.
Then you are assured the heat is away from combustible material and won't dry it out over the years.
I know they are used for heater flues I don't know if it's required on hood vents.

Advertisement

Last edited by COLDIRON; 12-12-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Changed text.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote