Radiator Won't Turn Off - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Radiator Won't Turn Off

So I recently moved into a new apartment with very old style cast-iron radiators. I don't know enough about them to know how to fix them without help, and my landlord is a complete ass when it comes to maintenance requests. When I moved in, it wouldn't turn on at all, but we have one in the bedroom so it was fine. Then winter hit and it was freezing and we couldnt' handle it, so I talked to my mom and she said I needed to use a radiator key to open up one of the valves.

Turns out mine is just a screw, and when I turned it counterclockwise, the thing started to make noise and got hot. Perfect.

Unfortunately, now it won't turn off. So there's the screw I messed with, then there's the knob on the bottom which is supposed to turn it off (clockwise) or on (counterclockwise). It just stays hot either way now.

Pictures attached so you can see what style it is. I really just want to fix this =/ The house is excruciating now. We have pets so opening the windows isn't really an option (plus that's stupid). If I have to call my landlord I will, but he is super rude and usually yells and threatens me whenever he comes over. So I'd rather not.

Thanks for any help you guys have!

Cody
Attached Thumbnails
Radiator Won't Turn Off-2015-02-10-20.02.23.jpg   Radiator Won't Turn Off-2015-02-10-20.02.04.jpg   Radiator Won't Turn Off-2015-02-10-20.01.36.jpg  

Advertisement

codytrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,838

Radiator Won't Turn Off

After you turn the know or screw clockwise, you may have to wait an hour or 2 for the rad to cool down.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

Radiator Won't Turn Off

yea....ive waited days between each time i try something new. its not actually turning off.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,838

Radiator Won't Turn Off

Valve gasket is worn out. Needs replaced, not easy to do.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 262

Radiator Won't Turn Off

Have landlord fix it.
Don't tell him you did anything. Just say it never shuts off and someone in your family feels sick from it.
Another technique (up to you) is to say it's so bad you're calling a plumber to repair and will deduct cost from next rent. Usually gets landlord to take action quickly.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 498

Radiator Won't Turn Off

DO NOT get in a p-ing match with your landlord. Document communication with landlord and just throw a blanket over it, if it gets too hot.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
HVAC Tech/Owner

Radiator Won't Turn Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
Have landlord fix it.
Don't tell him you did anything. Just say it never shuts off and someone in your family feels sick from it.
Another technique (up to you) is to say it's so bad you're calling a plumber to repair and will deduct cost from next rent. Usually gets landlord to take action quickly.

As a pro heating and airconditioning contractor.....

Telling me you have a sick family member and i have to come "right now" and that is truly not the case....you just got put on my blacklist. ....No, she really doesn;t have a medical condition we just wanted cooling.....

Had a deadbeat 14 years ago that wouldn't pay a bill because "his bird got sick"......there was nothing wrong with his system, he just lost power from the idiot electricians he hired.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Radiator Won't Turn Off

I don't have any reason to lie to my landlord, and as long as I put everything in writing he *technically* only has 72 hours, so I'm not concerned with "coercing" him into fixing something that's legitimately his responsibility.

Was just really hoping I'd get a solution that didn't involve him at all. He hasn't fixed anything else that's been broken and is not a fun person to have around.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
HVAC Tech/Owner

Radiator Won't Turn Off

You will never get a solution that will not involve the landlord...unless you want to pay for it yourself, or you want to document everything in your communications. The laws are slanted for people who have NO Heat....not too much heat. Move or throw a blanket over it.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

Radiator Won't Turn Off

Putting a blanket on it is not a solution =/
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
HVAC Tech/Owner

Radiator Won't Turn Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytrotter View Post
Putting a blanket on it is not a solution =/
why not?

It inhibits heat transfer-room won't be as hot.....

Advertisement