Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #1

Share |
Question

radiator boiler (gas) spiral venting

in the old setup in the basement, shown in the picture, my gas radiator boiler had some spiral venting right above it before it went some 7-8 ft in gentle gradient up to the chimney and then two full floors up to the roof.

i am moving it to the first floor and was wondering whether i need a similar spiral in the same position. the boiler is about 34" high and the vent makes the first 90 turn in the ceiling above it at about 100", then it goes 8 ft, 90 turn, goes 5 ft and into the chimney going one full floor to the roof.

so i thought perhaps due to a different setup, i wouldn't need this spiral thing. don't know ... obviously, it is cheaper and simpler without it, especially because i have to order type B venting cause all the stores in my area that sell it require an HVAC license in order to sell it.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
radiator boiler (gas) spiral venting-p1020943.jpg  

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
my gas radiator boiler had some spiral venting right above it before it went some 7-8 ft in gentle gradient up to the chimney and then two full floors up to the roof.
If you're talking about the aluminum flex duct (flexible dryer vent pipe) in the picture, that isn't "spiral" pipe.

This is spiral pipe......it's rigid.

BTW, why are there 4 90 adjustable ells coming off the top of the boiler when 2 would suffice?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
BTW, why are there 4 90 adjustable ells coming off the top of the boiler when 2 would suffice?
i thought the spiral in spiral vent was referring to the spiral formation the ells made, not the shape of the pipe itself. i was asking the same question, why is there the curl coming out of the furnace when two or possible even a single ell would suffice but then i was told it's a "spiral vent" without much further explanation.

basically, do you think i can just have a straight pipe coming out of the appliance to the first 90 deg bend in the ceiling? i really don't see why not but someone else made me nervous and, since it's CO that's at stake, i didn't wanna prove myself wrong dying.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote