Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

Radiant Tube Heater for Garage

I've acquired a natural gas radiant tube heater that I would like to install in my garage. I'm concerned with how I'm going to vent it. My garage is attached to my house (separated by an 8inch thick block wall), and there is no part of the house above it, just the garages own roof. I was originally going to vent through the roof, but I have windows right in front of the garage that lead into a bedroom, so that's probably not good. Also, anything that sticks out of the roof is going to be an eye sore from the street unless kept low (but due to snow, it probably can't be kept to low). So now I'm on to venting through the wall. I'm limited again on what side I can vent on because of aesthetics. If I have a 15 inch vent sticking out right in front of my walk way / porch to my front door, my wife is going to kill me. So I have to go on to the other side. Since my house is fairly new development (8 years old), I have very little property. My neighbors house is very similar to mine in design. The garage is out front, and attached to the house. But our houses are close together (garages are 5' 6" apart, and the soffit from the roof is around 3 feet apart). So what I'm wondering is if I can vent through the wall, and not have a problem? Past our garages, we have a bit more room (probably 7 feet or so), but there are also windows along each wall. Also, in between our two houses are both of our access to our backyards, so the vent would have to be kept as high as possible (as close to the soffit as allowed).

So my questions are:
How close can windows be to a vent?
How far from the soffit do I have to be from the vent?
Is my neighbors house to close for me to do this?
How far out does the vent have to protrude from the wall?

I drew a very quick picture trying to explain what I'm explaining. Hopefully it helps.

http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=heaterag6.jpg

Thanks

Eric
feavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

If below a window, 4'. If to the side of a window or door, 4'.
If above a window, 12".

Need manufacturers instructions for clearance from the sofit.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

thanks for the info.

From what I have been told, I need to be 3 feet away from windows (I should have mentioned that I live in canada, and will need to follow the b149.1 code). But I still have not found out any info pertaining to the sofit. Unfortunately, I do not have any installation instructions for this particular unit. So hopefully I can get my hands on a code book, and hopefully that info will be in there.

I do have another question now. Typically, is there a maximum number of bends in radiant tube heaters? Or is there a requirement on how far they have to be apart, or away from the heater itself.

Thanks

Eric
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Thats another manufacturer independant thing.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5

I would try to get a manual online or call the manufacturer. I would have concern of the neighbors home. They may be too close.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #6

the manufacturer appears to be out of business. It's made a by a company called "Gas MAC", and when I call the number on the side of the unit, it goes to a residential number, where an old lady says she occasionally gets phone calls asking for a heating company.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Do a search on teh web.
They may have been bought out.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #8

that is a possibility. I've searched and searched all over the web. The best I can come up with are some phone numbers that are all incorrect, and an address that may or may not be correct (no way of really verifying with out a long drive). They don't have a website by the looks of it.

There is another sticker on the unit giving a long warning about being a licensed pipefitter to install it, annual inspections, and changes to the unit may void the warranty. This sticker is dated and labelled "07/01/02 Easy Radiant Works", which is another company. I've sent them off an email.

Here are some pics of the unit, maybe someone can identify