DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

radiant slab vs. overhead radiant tube

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pjpjpjpj 
#1 ·
I am building a 2500 sq. ft. steel shop building. My contractor has priced a hydronic radiant slab heating system at $9k and a radiant tube system (like they use in warehouses, etc.) at $5k. I am trying to decide between the two.

Although not a DIY project, I would appreciate any opinions from those familiar with both types of systems with regard to comfort, bang/buck ratio, cost of operation. Both systems would be gas fired and the boiler for the slab system is priced as non-condensing.

One concern I have with the radiant tubes is that it wouldn't do much to heat an office that will be walled-off from the rest of the space.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Trust me............there is NOTHING more kozy then a warm cement floor in the middle of winter, and keep in mind that heat natuarly rises..........so a couple evenly placed celing fans will keep your shop toasty warm !

Raidiant heat tends to "OVERHEAT" all the objects in the room.

#3 ·
You are correct, that the radiant tube would not heat the office at all. The radiant tube only heats objects that it can directly "radiate at". So the external wall of the office would get heated but nothing in the office would (I'm assuming you will have some insulation within the office walls).

Of course, you could always get a small space heater for the office (and bathrooms, or any other closed spaces), and it would likely cost considerably less than the difference between the two systems you mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.