Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Radiant Barrier vs. eShield

I have a 12 year old two story house in Atlanta that sits on an unshaded hill facing West. I get full sun most of the day and the second story is very hot. I'm trying to decide between installing a radiant barrier (e.g., Radiant Guard) vs. eShield. My attic is already well insulated, so unclear to me whether the extra R11 rating of eShield offers anything extra over a radiant barrier given my primary focus is reducing radiant heat. Thx in advance for your advice.

rtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #2

Over the years I have had a lot experience with both these products. Since you will only be doing this once in your life it may make since to do it
as good as you can. Radiant Barriers have been around since the 1920's and the technology has basically remained the same. Many compare radiant barriers to single pane windows and Eshield to low-e insulated windows. Eshield gains its R-Value from a high density fiberglass super core that is made by Johns Manville. In most cases Eshield will only cost about $250 more which is very little to get 11 points of R-Value vs. 0

insulationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insulationman View Post
Over the years I have had a lot experience with both these products. Since you will only be doing this once in your life it may make since to do it
as good as you can. Radiant Barriers have been around since the 1920's and the technology has basically remained the same. Many compare radiant barriers to single pane windows and Eshield to low-e insulated windows. Eshield gains its R-Value from a high density fiberglass super core that is made by Johns Manville. In most cases Eshield will only cost about $250 more which is very little to get 11 points of R-Value vs. 0
Thx, but the cost for eShield is much more than $250 installed as it is available only through special installation contractors vs. radiant barrier can be ordered online and installed by experienced DIYs.
rtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, eshield, radiant barrier