Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Share |
Default

R410A Guage set


Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my own set of gauges to check the charge in my system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LX1001A-R410A-Re...item51999edef3

I'm thinking of just getting something off ebay. Anyone see a problem with this?

Does the middle port have a 1 way valve in it?

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,362
Default

R410A Guage set


Middle port does not have any check valve so refrigerant flows both ways. Those will work fine. Make sure to buy some low loss fittings.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Middle port does not have any check valve so refrigerant flows both ways. Those will work fine. Make sure to buy some low loss fittings.

What do you mean by low loss fittings?
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,614
Default

R410A Guage set




http://www.yellowjacket.com/node/704

btw, if you are not EPA certified to work on high pressure appliances the fine can be more than your mortgage, 25K.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post


http://www.yellowjacket.com/node/704

btw, if you are not EPA certified to work on high pressure appliances the fine can be more than your mortgage, 25K.

Does this mean I can't test the pressure of my system without facing fine? If so that's good to know.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,362
Default

R410A Guage set


http://www.yellowjacket.com/product/727
410 will blow the seals out after a couple hundred hook ups,that's why they say not recommended for 410. Not a big deal for you but I have to rebuild often. No EPA certification needed for 410A.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,614
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
http://www.yellowjacket.com/product/727
410 will blow the seals out after a couple hundred hook ups,that's why they say not recommended for 410. Not a big deal for you but I have to rebuild often. No EPA certification needed for 410A.

Are you required to have a license or to be certified to handle and purchase R-410A?
You are required to have an EPA Section 608 Type II or Universal certification license to handle R-410A but no license is legally necessary for purchase. A refrigeration supply house may have its own rules regarding who they are willing to sell R-410A to (they will typically require Section 608 Type II even though the EPA doesn’t require it for safety and liability reasons).
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,614
Default

R410A Guage set


That is because it's a high pressure refrigerant going into a high pressure appliance. The atmosphere safe thing is what gets people confused, why they often think they don't need a license and they might not where you live but here no on will sell it to you without one.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 94
Default

R410A Guage set


410a sucks. I can't tell you how many o-rings blow out of my hoses onto the roof somewhere.
Hubcap626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Are you required to have a license or to be certified to handle and purchase R-410A?
You are required to have an EPA Section 608 Type II or Universal certification license to handle R-410A but no license is legally necessary for purchase. A refrigeration supply house may have its own rules regarding who they are willing to sell R-410A to (they will typically require Section 608 Type II even though the EPA doesn’t require it for safety and liability reasons).

Hmm. That conflicts with the EPA website. I found that same text you found with a google search on a site that sells the training.. Hmm seems like a conflict of interest. Who should I believe, the EPA, or the site selling training?





http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html#q3
Is section 608 technician certification required in order to purchase R-410A?
HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance (such as R-410A or R-134a) are not covered under the refrigerant sales restriction. Therefore, section 608 technician certification is not required in order to purchase HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance. It remains illegal to knowingly vent HFC substitutes during the maintenance, service, repair, or disposal of appliances.



http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phas...ctors_faq.html
Is EPA technician certification required to service R-410A systems?
No, at this time EPA technician certification (i.e., EPA Section 608 certification) is not required in order to service R-410A systems or other stationary refrigeration and air conditioning systems containing HFCs.




Unless you can point me to an EPA site that suggests it's illegal to test the charge in my system, I think I'm ok. If I go to service it, I will need to either hire someone or buy a reclaiming machine.


-Jeff
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,362
Default

R410A Guage set


That's true for now Jeff. I've heard rumor that a special certification for 410 is coming but have not seen anything in writing yet. Might not ever happen.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,614
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Hmm. That conflicts with the EPA website. I found that same text you found with a google search on a site that sells the training.. Hmm seems like a conflict of interest. Who should I believe, the EPA, or the site selling training?





http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html#q3
Is section 608 technician certification required in order to purchase R-410A?
HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance (such as R-410A or R-134a) are not covered under the refrigerant sales restriction. Therefore, section 608 technician certification is not required in order to purchase HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance. It remains illegal to knowingly vent HFC substitutes during the maintenance, service, repair, or disposal of appliances.



http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phas...ctors_faq.html
Is EPA technician certification required to service R-410A systems?
No, at this time EPA technician certification (i.e., EPA Section 608 certification) is not required in order to service R-410A systems or other stationary refrigeration and air conditioning systems containing HFCs.




Unless you can point me to an EPA site that suggests it's illegal to test the charge in my system, I think I'm ok. If I go to service it, I will need to either hire someone or buy a reclaiming machine.


-Jeff
Being a jcakass about it begs for me to tell you I don't have to tell you anything or point you in any direction, I could care less.

Good luck.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
Member
 
JJboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin - Texas
Posts: 1,402
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
That's true for now Jeff. I've heard rumor that a special certification for 410 is coming but have not seen anything in writing yet. Might not ever happen.
I have the 410a certification. This only shows the differences about pressures, charging, hoses, etc
__________________

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Default

R410A Guage set


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Being a jcakass about it begs for me to tell you I don't have to tell you anything or point you in any direction, I could care less.

Good luck.
Sorry about that, I do appreciate the input. Just don't like scare tactics.. So many in the industry are all about scare tactics. It did get my blood pressure up though thinking about fines. I don't want to do anything illegal..

I do appreciate your concern if it's valid, I just don't like scare tactics.. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize.

I'm really into how this stuff works lately, and I'm hoping to get some good insight from the pros here. That's why I'm hanging out on the DIY forum and not the pro forum..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Default

R410A Guage set


When you check the pressures on a heat pump, do you take them in heating and cooling mode or is one sufficient? Is there a best time of year to do it where the outdoor temps will be high, or low, etc?

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R410a acessories JJboy HVAC 4 05-25-2011 08:10 PM
Boiler: Changing T&P Guage roztom HVAC 23 10-12-2009 03:44 PM
Boiler Pressure/Temp Guage Condensation roztom HVAC 0 10-10-2009 01:55 PM
14 guage for 20 amps bdog1234 Electrical 6 02-24-2008 01:34 PM
14 guage splice into 20 amp 12 guage circuit OK Bakes5 Electrical 3 12-19-2005 08:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.