DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

R22 change out

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Jim-Martin 
#1 ·
Hey I am doing my first complete new install. When I am going from R-22 to 410, do I need to install new lines sets? I have a customer that the line sets are running up studding, walls, brick, 3 story, this guy probable has 100 feet of line set and it would be a nightmare to replace. Someone told me you could use some type of acid to burn the line sets. If I have to change them how would I do one this complicated?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
cut the sheetrock open and pay for a repair. include in your cost the price of the wall and possible ceiling repair in your bid with installation of new line set. you hire sheetrock/painting company. may need a helper to push and pull, strongly suggested you have one so also include his pay in your bid. I do. :)

very easy but not needed. use a bunch of nitrogen, triple evac. even easier.

#6 ·
That's right. You may have to upsize them. Check the install info as some manufacturers have their own methods they want followed for reusing line sets. Lennox is now allowing liquid R22 to be flushed/has a procedure as long as it goes into a recovery machine and recycled properly.

#10 ·
OK in a previous post you all said that it is not at all necessary to change out the line set if they are properly sized, you just blow the lines with nitrogen. Some also recommended a cleaner that I think you said smelled like alcohol. 100 bucks a gallon is a lot for alcohol, so I would think you guys would find out whats really in the cleaner.

Now what is the issue with the height of the evaporator coil relative to the condenser? My evaporator coil is about 2-3 feet lower than my condenser coil which is on a pad outside. Does this present a problem when switching from an R-22 system to a R410a system? My lines are 3/8 and 3/4 respectively and are only about 35 feet long.

As far as passing on the install, it sounds to me like the guy is asking some pretty basic questions. Maybe he just needs to elaborate a little? Sounds like he is fully engaged at this point.

#11 ·
AC compressors if they have to lift the suction vapor more than 10 feet may need to be upsized and have a p trap to get proper oil return. definetly at 20 feet lift. not everyone follows proper piping practices but it makes for good compressor sales later. If the coil is much higher than the cond then gravity does the job BUT the reverse is true for the liquid which now has to be pumped uphill so the line may need upsizing. all depends on the specific manufacturer specs and nowadays that is VERY important. all has to do with the work the comp has to do to suck/lift the vapor and/or pump the liquid. larger lines make it easier to do.you will be OK with your setup but may have to upsize the suction if the manufacturer recommends it. liquid should be OK. once again lots of guys don't follow proper practices and I see LOTS of 3/4' fittings on conds squashed down to 5/8 and re-using the old smaller 5/8 line. works but is NOT a good idea in the long run.

#13 ·
This is a good question though...I have a 35 year old air conditioner I am scheduled to replace this summer. The lines go inside of drop-tile ceinling in my basement for about 12 feet. I am wondering if I need to take the tile out, or if the new system will be able to use the old lineset.

#14 ·
While many still practice up sizing vapor lines on lifts of 20 to 30 foot.Many manufacturers recommend against it. They have found out it can impede oil return due to the velocity being too low. Same as a trap can help or hinder. R410A requires a higher velocity for good oil return then R22 does.

Liquid line size should only be increased if the liquid line pressure drop will exceed 35PSIG for r22, and 50 PSIG for R410A. On some heat pumps increasing liquid line size is detrimental in heating mode.

All manufacturers have extended piping guides that should be used in long line and or extended lift applications. 50 long is not a long line set. 20 foot of height is common.

#15 ·
While many still practice up sizing vapor lines on lifts of 20 to 30 foot.Many manufacturers recommend against it. They have found out it can impede oil return due to the velocity being too low. Same as a trap can help or hinder. R410A requires a higher velocity for good oil return then R22 does.

Liquid line size should only be increased if the liquid line pressure drop will exceed 35PSIG for r22, and 50 PSIG for R410A. On some heat pumps increasing liquid line size is detrimental in heating mode.

All manufacturers have extended piping guides that should be used in long line and or extended lift applications. 50 long is not a long line set. 20 foot of height is common.
nowadays that is the main thing. some of what I am talking about is related to pure Refrigeration piping theory as I am a Journeyman in that and had it drilled into me at school. very interesting stuff though.

#16 ·
Hey I am doing my first complete new install. When I am going from R-22 to 410, do I need to install new lines sets? I have a customer that the line sets are running up studding, walls, brick, 3 story, this guy probable has 100 feet of line set and it would be a nightmare to replace. Someone told me you could use some type of acid to burn the line sets. If I have to change them how would I do one this complicated?

Thanks
Why is the customer moving away from R-22 to R401A?

#18 ·
because it is almost obsolete as a refrigerant and very expensive and there are very few units using R22 anymore. a few cheaper low end dry charged ones are available but they are builders grade.

#17 ·
I have a 7.5 ton A/C that has 180 of line set and 50 foot of lift to the evap. Inverted trap at the building exit before the drop, liquid line increased from 1/2" to 5/8" due to rise, nothing else special. Factory engineers designed piping. 15 years and no compressor failure.

Reverse set up in a large city. Several heat pumps with indoor units below the condensers. Furtherest one is 120 foot below. Line sets weren't increased as per GE/Trane. Funny thing was, the first compressor to die only had its indoor unit 40 foot below it. The 120 foot one lasted 16 years. They were heat pumps and in a commercial application, so they were used very hard.

I find it best when ever installing a line set in an unusual manor. That faxing a drawing of my proposed line set run to the manufacturer is the best way. the engineers will change anything they don't like. And then sign that they want it this way. After I have that fax back, install as they speced. Any problems down the road, they can't void warranty, since either they approved my design, or they altered it and said do it that way. Its my CYA insurance.

I hate when they spec double risers.

#20 · (Edited)
I can buy it for a reasonable price BUT it is being sold for $50/lb or higher. that's just the way the biz works. we can repair units until the cows come home but who wants to spend lots of $$ on old inefficient units and after a $750-1000 repair most people would rather go new so it has a full warranty etc. our poster did not say why his customer is changing just wants info on how. maybe it has a serious burnout and too expensive too repair or the customer wants a new one anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.