Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

R-22 AC replacement reclamation and disposal fees

I have to replace my R-22 AC condenser due to a leak (and evaporator coil) to a R410 unit. I have a home warranty which will pay for this but they say several items are not covered. R-22 reclaimation, electrical, ductwork, disposal, totaling $600. I do not understand some things. I know R-22 will be taken out of my system, but since it is being phased out, I figure it has a high value due to the lower supply. Therefore, they will be taking this from me, reclaim it, and likely resell it to someone who needs R-22. Same for the disposal fee. They will take this and sell it for scrap metal. In either case there is their labor cost and the cost to sell it, but I think in both cases they will come out ahead.

It does not seem like I should get charged for reclamation or disposal, If anything it seems like I should be getting some money back (especially for the R-22). As for the electrical and ductwork, since they are doing a replacement, I'm not sure how much of a change is really needed. Anyways, are these resonable charges or are they nickel and diming me? I'm getting the official quote from the warranty company and will see how much they are charging me for each item.

lmbgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

They might get a whopping 25 cents a pound for it. But they will also be charged a clean out fee(how much varies by area and reclaim company) for cleaning out the cylinder they use. Its part of the reclaim fee they must pay. They don't get that reclaimed refrigerant back. Unless they PAY for it. And it cost almost as much as virgin R22.

There isn't nearly as great of a demand for R22 as you think. Its very very plentiful. Dispite what you may have heard.

So yes, you should pay.

Scrap pays ok these days. Not enough to make money on it from an HVAC stand point though. Its not like they're going to get hundreds of dollars for it. So you should pay for the disposal.

Electrical and duct work. New units don't match up to the old units duct work. So its an expense you get to pay for.

Actually. Your getting off cheap. Very cheap.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #3

Yep. Typical charges that the warranty won't cover no matter who the insurance company is.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

ok, thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt aware of the state of the R-22 costs and disposal costs.

As for the duct changes, I wonder what would actually be changed. There's not much room around it to expand and the evaporator goes on top of the furnace so I would think it would need to fit.

Also, would I qualify for any of the tax credit in this situation? I read that if I bought an entire system myself that the install costs would be covered. since someone else is paying for most of it, can I still get 30% of the portion which I paid?
lmbgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Not with the equipment they are sending you.
You would need to have them cancel it. And send you the money for a qualifying system. Which would cost a whole lot more then what you will get back.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote