DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Questions regarding AC coil condensate line

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
I recently went under my house to do some plumbing for a bathroom remodel and discovered a huge amount of moisture in the crawl space. I believe that to be largely weather related but upon inspection I did see that the ac coil condensate line had a problem.

As you can see from the attached photos (the top 2 are the "before"), the trap on the line running from the coil pan had broken. The installers used a rigid piece of clear PVC on the lower side of the trap and flexible PVC tubing on the upper side. The rigid piece broke where it was connected to the unit's 3/8" drain tube (likely either from age/brittleness or maybe it froze when there was condensate in the line during winter?).

Being the inexperienced beanhead that I am, I thought that the trap was a lazy way that the installers had connected the drain tube to the drain line running outside. When I redid the drain line, I removed the trap and straightened up the run of the drain line (removing the 90 degree turn shown below). After doing research on this (why didn't I do research BEFORE???) I believe that I have absolutely GOT to have a trap on this drainage system.

Please confirm what I am thinking, and confirm that my "after" pictures (the bottom 2) will result in disaster if I don't reinstall a trap.

Thanks in advance and please go easy on me even though I am an idiot. :eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
FORGET trapping off that clear tube....typical units have a 3/4 PVC female thread at pan sticking out of the unit and you pvc out trapping right at the unit..hopping the line out is always lower then the bottom of the last elbow on the trap.....gravity.that plastic tube just hanging there calls for a condenstae pump to go right into then loop the discharge into that T.you will be real tight traping out and off that tube main line is above or at the base level of the unit.ii5V condensate pup plugged directly into a socket will work on the interior floatrise to pump out.if you slide a pmp under the unit you can take the discharge out with the same type hose sticking out of the bottom there.... check www.grainger.com for pumps DIYs welcomed....:thumbsup: any followup that repipe will drain but if that tube sucks air with the fan on the water will only drain when the fan shuts and it will build up within the unit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.