Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

Questions on new heat pump?

I just had my water to air, air conditioner replaced with a standard split system. I have some questions to insure it is installed correctly so I could use a second opinion. I had three different estimates so I may not be remembering the details correctly about the system. Also, my son got married this weekend so my mind was else where at times.

The company was very nice to install it quickly and finish on Memorial Day Saturday. The air handler was installed in a closet instead of the attic where the old system was so there were some major changes to how the air enters the duct work.

It is an Amana 18 SEER 4 ton heat pump with an electronic blower. Here are the components:
ASZ1804811AB Condenser
MBE 2000AA-1BA Blower
CAPF4860DB6A Coil
THD5320U1001 Honeywell Thermostat

A 5 KW electric heater was supposed to be installed (I went with only 5 KW since only 40 amps was going to where the air handler was replacing the water to air unit. We normally just use the fire place and in central Florida it is not that cold)

Some Questions:

Is this a two stage condenser?

How is the high and low stage of the condenser controlled? I thought it might need a more complicated thermostat.

The load calc came out with a 3.5 ton. With the “unique” construction of the addition, I am not sure if the load calc would be correct. My thinking was the 2 stage was essentially a 3 ton on low and a 4 ton on high. So if the load calc was a bit off the staging would help. Also, many times we just put the air on for company. So with the larger capacity we could cool it faster when unexpected company arrived. Does any of this make sense?

Can this unit that dehumidifying thing with a more complicated thermostat? It seems to run at a slower blower speed for a few minutes on startup and shutdown.

The line set is a 7/8 and 3/8. It is a long run. When I was measuring things, I came out with 87 ft. This was to make sure there was enough copper at each end for the install. There may be only 75 after the install. Is 7/8 big enough? Looking at that TP-107 which I’m not sure how to read, gives a .94 . Does this mean I am losing 6% capacity? Does this loss of capacity mean a loss of efficiency? I think I have plenty of capacity but I am worried about efficiency.

There is no marking on the air handler for the 5 KW heater. Do you usually mark it? Perhaps it was just an oversight. Thing are getting busy for the A/C folks here.

Is there a better thermostat to control the stages and the variable speed blower?

Thanks for any information!
Joe

JoeFL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Roof Cleaning Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFL77 View Post
I just had my water to air, air conditioner replaced with a standard split system. I have some questions to insure it is installed correctly so I could use a second opinion. I had three different estimates so I may not be remembering the details correctly about the system. Also, my son got married this weekend so my mind was else where at times.

The company was very nice to install it quickly and finish on Memorial Day Saturday. The air handler was installed in a closet instead of the attic where the old system was so there were some major changes to how the air enters the duct work.

It is an Amana 18 SEER 4 ton heat pump with an electronic blower. Here are the components:
ASZ1804811AB Condenser
MBE 2000AA-1BA Blower
CAPF4860DB6A Coil
THD5320U1001 Honeywell Thermostat

A 5 KW electric heater was supposed to be installed (I went with only 5 KW since only 40 amps was going to where the air handler was replacing the water to air unit. We normally just use the fire place and in central Florida it is not that cold)

Some Questions:

Is this a two stage condenser?

How is the high and low stage of the condenser controlled? I thought it might need a more complicated thermostat.

The load calc came out with a 3.5 ton. With the “unique” construction of the addition, I am not sure if the load calc would be correct. My thinking was the 2 stage was essentially a 3 ton on low and a 4 ton on high. So if the load calc was a bit off the staging would help. Also, many times we just put the air on for company. So with the larger capacity we could cool it faster when unexpected company arrived. Does any of this make sense?

Can this unit that dehumidifying thing with a more complicated thermostat? It seems to run at a slower blower speed for a few minutes on startup and shutdown.

The line set is a 7/8 and 3/8. It is a long run. When I was measuring things, I came out with 87 ft. This was to make sure there was enough copper at each end for the install. There may be only 75 after the install. Is 7/8 big enough? Looking at that TP-107 which I’m not sure how to read, gives a .94 . Does this mean I am losing 6% capacity? Does this loss of capacity mean a loss of efficiency? I think I have plenty of capacity but I am worried about efficiency.

There is no marking on the air handler for the 5 KW heater. Do you usually mark it? Perhaps it was just an oversight. Thing are getting busy for the A/C folks here.

Is there a better thermostat to control the stages and the variable speed blower?

Thanks for any information!
Joe
Joe, my brother is an A/C Contractor in Tampa.
I see you are in Florida too ?
I am a roof cleaner, but my brother can answer your questions.
Click the link above, an ask for Jamie.
He is a very nice guy, and will be glad to help you out.

apple roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #3

Dear Apple Roof Cleaning,
Thanks, I'll call him in the morning. He has a very nice and informative web site.
Joe
JoeFL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Roof Cleaning Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFL77 View Post
Dear Apple Roof Cleaning,
Thanks, I'll call him in the morning. He has a very nice and informative web site.
Joe
My brother used to be a Tampa Electric Company A/C Supervisor.
Tell him his brother Chris told you to call ?
He is a very nice guy, actually quite humble.
Well, ...... more humble then I would be if I looked like him
apple roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote