Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc
Share |

question's about condensation

Hello everyone, This evening when i got home from work, decided to go up into attic and check everything out since it was somewhat cooler outside today than it's been in recent weeks, noticed that on the bottom of my air handler and around the side's near the bottom there was condensation, is that normal? and the main condensation drain line, the pvc pipe with trap had moisture on it from where it come's out of the handler to a few feet away, is that normal? And the copper line going out of my handler to the outside unit is wrapped in pipe insulation, when i peeled it back a little bit I noticed moisture inside the insulation, Is that normal? Now-a-days moisture is the first thing I look for up there, lol since about 2 years ago when ceiling's in two room's came down from it. Any input and or advice is appreciated.
Thank's

jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #2

Moisture occurs when warm, humid air contacts a cold surface. It's normal to have condensate on the copper line, but condensate on the air handler generally means the insulation inside that air handler is not up to par. Many times you'll see manufacturers use sheets of insulation that's glued to the inside of the panel. If that insulation dislodges, you could certainly develop sweating in those areas. Many manufacturers have gone to double walled furnaces/air handlers, which don't need interior insulation (although some still put it in there).

The fix for that is either (a) reduce the humidity (which you can't do) or (b) reduce the likelihood that the humid air will contact a cold surface (i.e. reinsulte in some fashion). You ca insulate the air handler, but be careful when doing this - you shouldn't cover any service panels, and if this is a gas furnace, you'll should probably have a professional look into it.

As for the condensate line, just insulate it with standard pipe insulation, which you can get at any big box home improvement store.

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
jpc
jc

Hey "Scotmcd9999", Thanks for the quick reply. On the copper line, would I benefit for wrapping that line with a second jacket of insulation or no? On the handler itself, its not gas, its electric, I'll check inside to see if any of those sheet's are dislodge'ed, I also have a bunch of 1" thick pink foam board at the house, would it hurt anything to sheet the outside exposed surface's of the handler, as long as I dont cover up the service panels? or would I see no benefit there? Again thank you for your input
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #4

I don't see a need to wrap anything else around the copper pipe. One layer is generally enough.

I'm not sure the foam board would work. The purpose of insulation in this instance is to reduce the chances of condensation, which means you need a good vapor barrier. I doubt you'd get that with foam board. Fiberglas with a vapor backing (i.e. duct wrap) would be a better choice. You can often buy silver "bubble wrap" insulation at the big box home improvement stores. This would be a better choice IMO.

Do you have any puddling or pooling of moisture under the system?

Do you have an auxilliary pan under the air handler? This is critical for overhead systems. You also need float switches on that pan, and you need a flow switch on the main drain line.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
jpc
jc

Ok I get what your saying about needing more of a vapor barrier, darn..lol thought I found somewhere to use up this stack of pink board. As far as puddling or pooling under the system, no ,none at all. I do have a pan underneath with some type of wired thingy's attached,lol
Now that bubble wrap type stuff, I can apply that to the exterior of the handler providing I dont block the access hatch's?
Again thanks for taking the time to help me out
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Yes, you can wrap with the bubble wrap. Just don't block the panels, and don't tape over the panels to the point where you can't get them off.