Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Questions about Amana Heat Pump and Comfortnet system

Ok so I am doing a heat pump install and had a few questions. not sure if there are any HVAC pros here on this board or not but thought I would ask.

I am replacing a 2 ton old York heat pump with a Amana two stage 2 ton 16 seer heat pump model# ASZC160241 with a matching Amana AVPTC313714 variable speed air handler and the CTK-02 comfort net communicating thermostat. I also have a 10k heat strip installed in the air handler.

I was looking in the install directions about setting the dip switches but I also read that when you use the comfort net thermostat it automatically configures everything for you. Do you still have to manually set the dip switches? Is anyone here familiar with this system? Any help is greatly appreciated. Paul

wyblep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

If all your components are communicating then the did switches are ignored and you set up at the stat.

Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

yup, yup. leave the dip switches alone, the stat will do it it all, just plug 'n' play. I installed one (non heat pump, though) a few months ago. Very easy.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Does this still apply even if I am installing a 10k heat strip also? So what you are saying is all I have to do is hook up the four thermostat wires fron the heat pump to the airhandler then the four wires from the air handler to the thermostat and thats it? Will I have to do a bunch of programing in the thermostat? Also this is a two stage unit I thought I would have to set it up with either the dipswitches or programming the thermostate for what cfm I would like it to be on first and second stage. Am I missing something?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

yup, just the four wires to each and that's it and if the existing outside unit was a heat pump than you have the four wires already. If not, you'll need a step down transformer (in the instructions) in the heat pump. you jump out of the high voltage contactor in the heat pump to a 24 volt step down transformer (which you mount in the heat pump like you would a capacitor, kinda, more like a relay of a hard start kit, screw it in place)) and take the two low voltage wires to a certain two of the four wires needed. read the installer's and the operator's manuals, it'll tell you where to place those two wires.

the system is set at a default, the stat is where you program beyond the default settings if indeed anyone cares to program it to specifics. if not, just set the temp and turn on, charge and be done. the system will take care of itself and communicate with each piece individually and display any and all problems on the stat if there are throughout it's use.

it is easier than a regular system. no w, no y, no g, no r, no nothing. actually, i take that back. those four are the wires you plug into on each piece, but it's on that clip you plug in. forgive me, I'm working on memory here and it's been months. and I think it's a common in place of the w of the four. again, been months.

just sounds difficult. I was a bit apprehensive at first, too, but once I got it in and she cranked on, I simply handed the home owner the stat operating manual, collected and left. but they were computer geeks, wanted to set it up themselves past default.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-17-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

I do not think I need the transformer. I ran all new 18 guage 8 wire thermostate wire all components are new . Thanks for the help sounds like it is not very hard to set up.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

it is not, and I think the wires are labeled 1, 2, 3 and 4, right? yeah, read the instructions, it's all explained in there and it's all very easy. let us know how it turns out.

good luck.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #8

Thanks will do
Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Well I hooked everything up yesterday. Fairly easy to hook up four wires to the stat and four wires to the heat pump. The thermostat for the comfortnet system even comes with little four pin connecters makes it very easy. When I fired up the units the Stat located the airhandler and the heat pump. But when I put it on cool it gave me heat. The blower motor came on low and the coil got hot. The board in the airhandler is flashing C for cool and F for fan. Not sure what is happening?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Make sure the coil on the reversing valve did not come off. And that no wires got knocked loose in the heat pump.
Doc Holliday (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

heat pump setting, me thinks. the system I installed was not a heat pump. you need to read all the installer instructions or call Goodman Amana tech support for best results, they'll fill you in. I'm sure it's something really simple, like the reversing valve not energizing which may simply mean you need one more wire from each piece of equipment, for the o or B reversing valve connection in the heat pump. that is just an assumption from behind a desk as again, it would make sense but also again, call Goodman Amana tech support for the final answer.

blower will come on low first, each cycle. it's for dehumidification. most if not all variable speed furnaces will do that.

please again, let us know the outcome. I'm highly interested. good luck.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

I just so happen to have Goodman tech support in my phone.

1-(888)-593-9988
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

you were taking too long so I called Goodman tech. There is no reversing valve wire separately needed, just r , c, data 1 and data 2, the four you've already connected. You need to check at the board in the heat pump to see if there's 24 volts being sent to the valve.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #14

Can I check for the 24 volts somewhere on the board? The reversing valve is located inside the heatpump so I would have to take the top off to access the reversing valve and you cant turn on the unit with the top dismantled? I also checked the default codes in the thermostat and here is what it recorded. for the heat pump fault one it said HPS open, fault 2 low line volt,fault 3 compressor short cycle. it will record up to six fault codes. the air handler had a fault code of heat pump mode OP. I also looked at the led lights on both the heat pump and the air handler when the compressor is running the red light is on when it shuts off the red light flashes slowly and the green light flashes twice and the yellow light flashes twice. on the air handler the red light flashes twice when you first power on the unit but thats it it does not come on again.

Would anyone here know exactly how all 13 dip switches in the air handler should be configured for this setup? The company I bought it from did say you need to set the dip switches even if you are using the comfort net system. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

at this point if I were you I'd call Goodman tech support but yes, you can simply unwire the condenser fan completely, remove the entire lid with fan attached to lid and put aside and check that reversing valve while in coool mode, you'
d just have to do it quickly and turn off the system after checking, but there is no need. it's those codes and Goodman will walk you through it. Seriously, call them first thing tomorrow and tell them everything you just said here. They'll have you up in probably less than an hour. Tech support is very good.

I wish I knew more and could help, but I can't, not without the legend of what those fault codes mean (check installer's manual or service doors for legends) and without calling Goodman tech again.

Actually, I can. It just clicked in the ole frontal cortex, the high pressure switch. too much refrigerant. one entails the other. too much refrigerant opens the low voltage circuit. release/recover some refrigerant. find that high pressure switch on the little line inside the unit. there might be a reset button like on those older Rheems or simply let some refrigerant out. if 410A than no need to recover, you can dump it to atmosphere. do a little at a time and listen for the distinctive click that the switch makes when it closes. try to turn on cool and see what happens until the system starts. it should start like that.

again, call Goodman, but I know that's what it is. I've come behind a few installers on new systems that simply were tripped out on high pressure. all I did was release some refrigerant (while on call for cool at stat) and BAM!, both condensers started humming as soon as that switch closed.

you have too much refrigerant in there.