Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Share |

Question on running ductwork for roof vent

Hello,

I've installed ductwork for a vent on an island cooktop that runs through the roof into a roof cap. My question revolves around the ductwork meeting the roof. When I ran the ductwork above the roof cutout, I actually bent the sides over so that the ductwork sits flush with the roof. Then I placed the roof cap over the ductwork (sealded properly with roof tar). Is this appropriate?

I had looked back at the instructions for the roof cap and they do say to allow the ductwork to rise no more than 3/4" above the roof (doh!!). I'm guessing this is in case water gets underneath the roof cap, it doesn't flow into the ductwork, correct?

Am I OK leaving as is or should I run new ductwork so that it rises 3/4" above the roof line into the cap? Wouldn't be too hard, since I have the drywall open and can slide a new line up and into the opening.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

pedechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Need some pictures so we can see what you've done.
Should have been something like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

Sorry. I used the Broan roof cap that's made to accept up to 8" round ductwork. It looks like it isn't set up to mount directly to the ductwork, rather it gets placed over it.

I wasn't sure if my ductwork has to extend beyond the actual roof into the cap. Not sure if its a code issue for combustibles since I don't have that tight fitting to the actual cap. Rather the ductwork "dumps" into the cap, sitting flush with roof.
pedechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

I've never installed duct work above the roof line.
All my connections are done inside the attic attached with duct work screws and wrapped with foil tape .