Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Share |

Question regarding bathroom exhaust fan

Hey guys!

So I am interested in a home that was flipped this year.

Overall the work is pretty good and I'm content with it.

However there are a few things... one that I need some info on is this...

There are two bathrooms that both have exhaust vents. The vents go up into the attic with seperate uninsulted flexiable metal lines. The lines go up and are taped to support beams horitozntally allllllll the way to one of the attic soffits (over 30 feet). There are spots where the metal line sags 1/2 inch to an inch.

Is any of this setup a violation of any specific code? I REALLY want to tell him... nope you need two separate vents STRAIGHT up out of the attic via the roof.

Thanks guys!

Chris

DownRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Unless the manufacturer specifies a shorter length, insulation, hard pipe, or no reversed pitch, they are unfortunately allowed and I frequently see poorly functioning installations as a result:

Typically the installation instructions only say something like:

"The unit will operate most quietly and efficiently when located where the shortest possible duct run and minimum number of elbows will be needed."

One exception is Panasonic, their instructions prohibit some of these installation techniques:

Occasionally an AHJ will impose other restrictions, for example in some areas where I inspect they prohibit direct attachment for flex vent to the exterior termination and instead require had pipe through the wall or ceiling, so it may be worth checking with the local building department.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

They do make units, where the fan is actually remote, and would be one vent out of the building. Would be quieter and may be the better way, unless you have a light in the vent fans. Take a picture of the units and post back.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote