Question On HVAC Unit In Condo... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
fp1

Rewards Points: 10

Question on HVAC unit in condo...

I'm under contract for a purchase of a condo and it looks like the heating unit needs replaced and probably the AC unit as well.

A few questions for those in the biz...

1. How much would a new heating system be for a condo of approx 800 sq ft? At a minimum, some valves need replaced as they are corroded and the inspector pointed out to me that one was leaking and dripping. (obviously my purchase of the place was contingent on a home inspection). I'm just clueless as to what type of unit is most beneficial and what the costs associated with a replacement would be.

2. The AC unit is likely in the last years of work life as well. I believe the inspector said the unit was about 20 years old and all I know was it was carrier that powered the central AC throughout the condo. It works and there doesn't appear to be anything significantly wrong with it, just that it is old.

Both units are located in separate closets.

Fwiw, I"m in NYC area so I realize the premium on prices/labor. I'm ust trying to get some ballpark figures so that I can at least negotiate some credits.

I anticipate I might need to get an HVAC guy in there and take a look at it.

Thank you to all that can respond.

Advertisement

fp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi fp1

Not exactly sure how to answer your question. The best thing that I could reccomend is to have a reputable HVAC company come out and give you some ideas as to what you have. If you are under contract, I would make that one of ths stipulations for the seller. Not sure what the laws are in NYC, but around here we have what is called a lemon law. Basically this means I can't knowingly or willfully sell you a piece of crap and you have no leagal rights to restitution. Hope some of this helps.

Good luck
Rusty

Advertisement

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
fp1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrierman,

Thanks for your response. I know my legal rights, I was more concerend about how much these units cost. I simply have no idea.
fp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi fp1

Thats kind of a loaded question, but here we go.
The A/C you should need would be a minimum of 2ton. In the Carrier brand they can start @ $1000.00 and go as high as $5000.00 dollars. For the furnace its not that much different. You can start @ $750.00 and go as high as $3500.00. Thats why I suggested what I did. I don't know enough about your economy to be dangerous, and I hate giving out bad information. But I would reccomend when you get ready to make the equipment change. See what Carrier has to offer, and besides it may be built in Syracuse plant.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote