Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question to Fully Understand When Heat Strips Engage ...

Hi ...

Recently had 2 Trane XL15i Heat Pumps and Trane Variable Speed Air Handlers installed ... with Honeywell VisionPro IAQ, w/ outdoor sensor, thermostats ...

In the part of North Carolina that I'm in, we usually don't see too many very cold nights ... but can occasionally see 20-30 degree nights ...

I'm trying to fully understand when Heat Strips should turn on ... The VisionPro is set to allow heat strips to turn on with outside temps fall to 35 degrees and below ...

Since installed, we've had a couple nights where the outside sensors for the units show 29 degrees and the home has stayed comfortable ... However, I never see the "Aux Heat On" message or any other notification showing up on the IAQ's screen when this happens ...

Is this because the Emergency Heat will not turn on if the Controller sees that the Heat Pump and Compressor are doing a good enough job keeping the home at the set temperature even if the outside temperature drops below the aux lockout set in the IAQ ...

Just trying to figure out when the Aux Heat should and should not come on based on the IAQ having a lock out set to 35 degrees ...

Tim_in_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 0

Question to Fully Understand When Heat Strips Engage ...

As long as the upstage timer isn't set to bring them on after X minutes. they will only come on when the heat pump can't maintain set point temp. Or if you raise the set temp.

Set lock out temp to 20. If when it drops to 25 the indoor temp starts to drop, you know to raise your lock out to 25 or 30.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote