Question On Estimate Vs. HP Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question on estimate vs. HP unit

Hi all, newbie here, been reading the forums for a long time now for various things and decided no better time than now to register since I have a question to ask that could potentially cost me thousands lol.

So anyhow, for the last 4yrs. our sole heat source has been a Hotblast 1557M burning about 95% wood and 5% coal. I'm finally to the point where I can afford to have a heat pump and electric furnace/air handler installed. So, today one of the contractors I called showed up for the free estimate. He turned out to be a pretty cool guy, and gave me the history of his family-owned/operated HVAC company. I've been doing a lot of research on local contractors, and he/his company has a great track-record for installation as well as service-calls, so as far as his company goes, I feel very comfortable hiring him.

However, for my question... After we did a lot of talking, he did his walk around, etc. He gave me a written estimate of $3,500 for the install.. this includes everything except the two 60 amp breakers I need which I told him I would pick up (a family friend is an electrician and has all the breakers my heart could desire lol). This also includes a new plenum, as well as re-routing the current 8" ducts I have coming out of my wood furnace into the homes duct work (the hotblast will still be, for the most part, our primary heat source as I get all my firewood for free just gotta work for it).. The manufacturer he said he would get is Armstrong.. air handler w/ 15kw strip and variable speed blower and 2.5 ton 14 SEER, 8.5 HSPF rating..

So, with that info, how does this deal sound to you all? As far as the price goes, it sounds like a pretty darn good deal, however I'm having trouble finding some good, personal knowledge/experience with Armstrong. I just don't wanna jump on this cause of the deal, only to find out the unit or units are junk and need constant fixing.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Advertisement

countryboy26047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

Armstrongs ok.

Cheap price for a heat pump install.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Armstrongs ok.

Cheap price for a heat pump install.
Thanks for the response... and yeah, I agree... and in comparison with estimates I had done about 2 yrs ago (I know, a lot can change in 2yrs), it is so cheap that it makes me worry lol. This time around though, I'm ready to pull the trigger, and I'm getting estimates from diff. contractors this time around (personal issues with the 2 I had tried before)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

So where do you live countryboy?
Heat pump effectiveness changes with the climate.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
So where do you live countryboy?
Heat pump effectiveness changes with the climate.
Northern West Virginia. I realize that, and prior to my folks getting their HP it was a definite concern.. however, after all the research my dad did, and after talking to multiple contractors as well as home-owners who have HP set-ups, it's not really a concern. Most of the winter, our high/low temp avg is 33-35*/20-30* F. My dad's unit is a rheem, with very similar ratings as the unit I was quoted on today and they don't see emergency heat very often at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy26047 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (09-26-2012)