Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question on Carrier Crankcase Heater

I have a Carrier HP model 38YSP042300, serial 0594A00427 that was installed by a Carrier authorized dealer in early 2006. I just discovered that its crankcase heater is not connected. The installation manual says that for ambient of less than 55 degrees or for piping runs greater than 50 feet the crankcase heater is required (there are other reasons too that do not apply). The weather often goes below 55 here and my piping run is about 60 feet. This unit uses Puron refrigerant (R410?) and POE oil. I believe I should reconnect the crank case heater. What advice does anyone have for me?

Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I have a Carrier HP model 38YSP042300, serial 0594A00427 that was installed by a Carrier authorized dealer in early 2006. I just discovered that its crankcase heater is not connected. The installation manual says that for ambient of less than 55 degrees or for piping runs greater than 50 feet the crankcase heater is required (there are other reasons too that do not apply). The weather often goes below 55 here and my piping run is about 60 feet. This unit uses Puron refrigerant (R410?) and POE oil. I believe I should reconnect the crank case heater. What advice does anyone have for me?
The serial number tells me that the unit was produced in 1994, and you claim it was installed in 2006....12 years after it was manufactured? I want to ask how are you sure that the heater is not connected?

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

The reason the serial number doesn't make sense is that I see I screwed up and gave the serial number for the inside unit which was made way back in 94. Here is the serial number for the Carrier outside unit 4605E35499.

As to how I know the crank case heater isn't connected, I read the circuit diagram on the electrical compartment cover, traced wires, checked wire colors, and noted that there was a black wire with a push on flat blade female terminal that was just leaning against the switched terminal of the contactor. There was also a small black wire attached to the input terminal of the contactor that led off to a thermostat that was bundled up in extra wire hanging below the electrical box. Finally, there are 5 wires going down to the compressor, two of which are small black and 3 other larger wires, black, common; yellow, run winding; and blue, start winding. Oh yes, the other wire from the above mentoned thermostat, connects to one of the small black wires going to the compresssor.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

a crank case heater is always a good idea, it just hooks to the hot side of the contactor, or the side with the incoming power.remember this is 220 vac, so disconnect the power before attempting to re-connect the heater.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #5

Thanks Harleyrider. Since the machine has been running for several years without the heater, I presume that the heater impacts the lifetime of the machine more than anything else. Doe the POE oil turn to wax somewhere below 55 degrees or something?

Anyhow, you bet I will turn off the power and check both L1 and L2 for being hot before I stick my hand in that box when I am sitting on an aluminum stool on the wet ground! In my case the heater is in series with an ambient temperature sensing thermostat and the pair are across the switched contacts of the contactor. Thus when the machine is running, the heater is off and when it is not running the heater is on in series with the run winding if that thermostat thinks it is cold enough.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,678

Under 55, the liquid refrigerant and oil mix. And when the compressor stats and runs the oil can wash out, causing he bearings to run hot. And then seize up.

Might want to check that the heater isn't shorted out, and thats the reason someone disconnected it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Thanks Beenthere! That is the kind of information I was looking for. I am sure no one disconnected the crankcase heater after it was installed as no one but me has even looked in the machine since it was installed. But, I will check anyhow as part of the reconnection process.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 510

The diagram shows the crank case heater wiring to L1 and T1 (opposite sides of the contactor's black leg) not L1 and L2.

This is to deenergize the heater when the compressor runs.

(Highlighted pink)

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #9

Huston204, Thanks for the input. I already knew that and am thinking that my reference to L1 and L2 in an earlier post to this thread must have been what prompted your post. My reference was just to insure they were really dead before I stuck my hand in the box! And you went to all the trouble of making the circuit of interest pink. Thanks again.

Tags
carrier, crank, crankcase, heater